ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons advanced through the first day of the American Southwest Conference Volleyball Championship Tournament undefeated and will square off in the ASC Semifinal on Friday at 5 p.m. against Mary Hardin-Baylor at the Mabee Complex.
Hardin-Simmons, who is the host school and the No. 1 seed from the ASC West, beat East Texas Baptist in four games, 25-20, 18-25, 25-15, 25-19.
Hannah Hornsby led the Cowgirls attack with 18 kills and Christine Sas had 12 kills and 20 digs.
Setters Molli Owen and Meghan Mohlitor ran the Cowgirl offense as both produced double-doubles. Owen had 29 assists and 12 digs and Mohlitor had 18 assists and 13 digs. Addison Zaya had 22 digs for HSU.
Kassie Freitag had 16 kills for ETBU and Melanie Moyer had 19 digs to lead the way for the Tigers.
The Cowgirls hit .216 in the match and held the Tigers to .060. HSU also had 11 blocks, seven from Tori Martinez.
HSU has now won 47 straight matches at home and 23 straight matches this season to improve to 27-3. ETBU fell to 18-11 and will play Texas Lutheran in an elimination match at 2:30 on Friday.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Mistrial declared in sexual assault case against ex-Anson police chief
- Texas presidential poll shows Trump with lead going into election
- Abilene City Council approves hiring two code enforcement officers
- Teacher Tribute: First-year Wylie teacher receives season's first honor
- 3 suspects sought by Abilene police
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth