ABILENE, Texas - Texas-Tyler leads Hardin-Simmons 70-69 after the first day of the 2014 American Southwest Conference Track and Field Championships that are being held at Hardin-Simmons.
Shelby McIntyre won the javelin throw with a toss of 112-4 and Whitney Simmons of Texas-Tyler won the hammer throw with a meet record of 172-02. HSU placed second through sixth in the hammer with Evlyn Collins, Meredith Akers, Shannon Shipp, Elissa Paniagua and Rachel Davis all scoring for the Cowgirls. Collins was third in the javelin and Hailey Whiteside fourth for HSU.
Carly Kitts of Texas-Tyler won the 10,000 meters with a time of 44:50.63 and Brittany Brunson won the 3000 Steeplechase with a time of 12:22.04.
Haley Van Klombenburg of Concordia won the high jump with a 5-4 ¼. Paige Goen, Hailey Whiteside and Danielle Keiner placed third, fourth and fifth for HSU.
Kealy Gaffney of Texas-Tyler defended her title in the triple jump with a 34-10 ¼.
Texas-Tyler had 70 points, Hsu 69, Concordia 37, Sul Ross State 9 and East Texas Baptist 1.
The event concludes Saturday with the field events at 9 a.m. and the running starting at 1 p.m.
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Updated Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- San Angelo city councilman asked to resign over racial Facebook comments
- Updated Storms result in phone problems at Brownwood Police Department
- Deadly accident in Callahan County, road closed
- Updated Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- 140-year-old hardware store to stay open under new ownership
- Brownwood ISD's new calendar includes 3-day weekends every month
- Early man in jail for scamming elderly couple out of $15,000
- Brownwood raid leads to arrests for illegal drugs
- Brownwood takes steps to address wild hog problem at city field