ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons will close its spring football practices with its annual Cowboy weekend, beginning with a lineman challenge and seven-on-seven competition on Friday evening and concluding with the Cowboy Golf Tournament and Luncheon and Auction on Saturday.
"We have had a great spring," said HSU head coach Jesse Burleson. "We have accomplished most of our goals as we have installed our new defense and made some personnel and scheme changes on offense. We are excited to build off what we have accomplished this spring."
The skills positions guys will play four sessions of seven on seven, including a red zone session. Each session will be broken up by a lineman challenge competition. The challenges include a truck push, obstacle course, tire flip, dumb bell stack and tug of war. The action will begin at 5 p.m.
It will also be the first time the Cowboys will be on the new turf at Shelton Stadium.
On Saturday, HSU will host a golf tournament at Mesquite Grove at Dyess Air Force Base and then at 2:30 will hold the annual luncheon and auction at D1 Sports on Ridgemont Drive. Jimmie Keeling will be the keynote speaker and his book Stay Purple will also be available for the first time.
"This is a great weekend for us," said Burleson. "The excitement of finishing the spring with our guys going head-to-head and a lot of former players come back and get to interact with the current players so we can continue to enhance the family."
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
Some of the items up for auction
- South Texas Deer Hunt in Jim Hogg County – all inclusive (donated by Roque Vela)
- Art Briles autographed helmet (donated by Corbett Boone)
- Tactical Hog Hunt (night visions equipment and AR-15's provided) all inclusive
- Colonial Golf Package (members passes for 1 day, hotels, and meals provided)
- Ultimate Tailgate Package - grill, coolers, canopy, chairs, custom washer pits, etc. (donated by Ryan Smrkovsky)
- Spring Turkey Hunt at the Lucky 7 Ranch near Eden, TX – all inclusive
- UT vs Baylor ticket package (tickets, parking, Horns Club)
- A&M – Sumlin autographed helmet (donated by Nathan Reeves)
- Tech – Kingsbury autographed helmet (donated by Scott Parr)
- Condo in Branson, Missouri
- Cabin stay in Ruidoso
- "Stay Purple" new version signed by Coach Keeling
- "Those Who Stay" poster signed by Coach Keeling
- Keeling autographed framed jersey
- Hog Hunt all inclusive with former Cowboy Wyatt Walton
- Sammy Baugh autographed poster
- Dove Hunt in Brady, Texas
- Cowboy items:
- Signed helmet – Staubach, White, Lilly
- Team signed football
- Son of former Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Updated Police: Chase from Amarillo ends with shooting in New Mexico
- Environmental groups raise concerns over West Texas oil find
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer