RICHARDSON, Texas - Hardin-Simmons outscored Texas-Dallas 51-35 in the second half to rally for a 79-74 American Southwest Conference men's basketball game at the UTD Activities Center in Richardson.
The win was the Cowboys ninth in 10 games and moved them to a tie for second place in the ASC standings. HSU is now 10-7 overall and 10-4 in league play, after starting the year 1-6.
UTD came out hot and hit 6-of-10 3-pointers and 14-of-23 shots overall in the first half to take a 39-28 halftime lead.
HSU came out hot in the second half and cut the deficit to 47-41 on a 3-pointer by John Barnes with 14:18 to play. UTD pushed the lead to 52-43 with 12:58 remaining. Then the Cowboys made their run.
UTD had a 9-0 run to retake the lead 65-64 lead with 3:04 to play. Jefferson then scored the next seven HSU points to give the Cowboys a 73-67 with :47 to play.
Jefferson had 23 points, six rebounds, five assists and four steals in 36 minutes. He went 2-for-10 in a rough first half but was 6-for-9 in the second half and scored 19 of his 23 points in the second half.
Titus Mims and Charles Sams had 15 points each and John Barnes added 12 points and seven assists.
Kyle Schleigh led UTD with 19 points and 11 rebounds. Nolan Harvey added 18 points.
The Comets fell to 15-2 on the year and 13-1 in league play. They had just entered the D3hoops.com rankings as the No. 24 team in the nation earlier in the day. UTD beat HSU 80-57 in the first meeting of the season.
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated