TYLER, Texas - Jordan Dotson worked seven solid innings and Hardin-Simmons came up with some clutch hitting in a 5-2 non-conference win over Texas-Tyler on a chilly Friday night at Irwin Field in Tyler.
Freshman Caleb Jacques put the Cowboys on the board first in the second inning with a sacrifice fly. The Patriots tied the game in the bottom of the fourth on a Kevan House home run to right.
The Cowboys came right back in the fifth inning to add a pair of runs. Chris Matthews led off the inning with a double and moved to third with one out when Jason Vause hit a chopper to short that the shortstop looked to third and then couldn't retire the speedy Vause at first base for a fielder's choice. Jon Finney and Marcus Uechi followed with RBI singles to left field.
In the seventh inning, Finney had a one-out single and moved to third on a Marcus Uechi single to right. Uechi stole second base and then after a groundout by Andrew Bell, both runners scored on a two-strike two-out single by Troy Nicholson to make it 5-1.
Dotson (1-0) earned the win with seven innings of solid work. He scattered five hits, allowed two runs and struck out five. Eric Zamora came on in the eighth and got a pop out then the Patriots hit a pair of singles. HSU went to the bullpen again and Tyler Brunnemann got a pop up to center and he struck out House to get out of the jam.
Brunnemann then worked a scoreless ninth for the Cowboys to earn his second save. He struck out three batters in his one and two-third innings of work.
Finney, Uechi, Matthews and Colson Craddick all had two hits for the Cowboys. Cayden Cuniff and T.J. Martin had two hits each for the Patriots.
Chance Cotton got the start for the Patriots and allowed three runs on five hits and struck out six to take the loss. Jacob Yanker allowed two runs in two innings of relief work and Matt Sheppard worked the final two innings without allowing a baserunner.
HSU is now 3-2 on the year and UTT fell to 2-2. The two teams will play a noon doubleheader on Saturday.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Updated Armored car guard shot, killed in Texas ATM robbery
- Updated Teacher fired in West Texas after Internet post hired by another district
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon hit-or-miss t-shower chances continue
- Police ID West Texas man who died while hiking
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon