ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' tennis teams each dropped their season opener to Texas-Permian Basin on Saturday afternoon at the Streich Tennis Center in Abilene.
The Cowboys dropped all three doubles and it cost them a 5-4 loss. HSU won four of the six singles matches but couldn't overcome the 3-0 hole.
Erich Bein won 6-1, 6-3 at No. 1 singles, Michael McCullough won 7-6, 6-4 over Jonathan Rutledge with a 7-0 win in a first-set tiebreaker. Nathan Chavez won in three sets over Alvaro Sifuentes at No. 3 singles, 3-6, 7-5 and 8-6 in the third set. Freshman Sam May picked up the win at No. 5 singles in his first career start. He beat Adam Cheney 5-7, 6-4 and won the third-set pro set 7-1.
Texas - Permian Basin 5, Hardin-Simmons 4
1. Erich Bein (HSU) def. Justin Pena, 6-1, 6-3
2. Michael McCullough (HSU) def. Jonathan Rutledge, 7-6 (7-0), 6-4
3. Nathan Chavez (HSU) def. Alvaro Sifuentes, 3-6, 7-5, 8-6
4. Edgar Lozsano (UTPB) def. Jordan Wilson, 6-3, 6-1
5. Sam May (HSU) def. Adam Cheney, 5-7, 6-4, 7-1
6. Caio Aguiar (UTPB) def. Andrew Eurek, 6-3, 6-2
1. Pena/ Rutledge (UTPB) def. Bein/ McCullough, 8-6
2. Sifuentes/Jaxon Immler (UTPB) def. Wilson/ Chavez, 8-4
3. Cheney/ Aguiar (UTPB) def. May/ Eurek, 8-4
The situation was similar in the Cowgirls 6-3 loss to UTPB. The Falcons swept the three doubles matches to take a 3-0 lead.
HSU received wins from Genene Haddad at No. 1 singles over Shelby Greene, Jasmine Briant at No. 3 singles in three sets and Jenna Smith won at No. 4 singles, 6-4, 6-2.
Haddad is a senior for the Cowgirls and the other five players in the lineup are all freshmen for HSU.
Texas-Permian Basin 6, Hardin-Simmons 3
1. Genene Haddad (HSU) def. Shelby Greene, 7-6 (7-5), 2-6, 7-5
2. Olivia Baltazar (UTPB) def. Hannah Smith, 6-3, 6-7, 7-5
3. Jasmine Briant (HSU) def. Sofia Ochoa, 6-4, 2-6, 10-8
4. Jenna Smith (HSU) def. Ynez Sanchez, 6-4, 6-2
5. Sydney Holdampf (UTPB) def. Alynna Phouthakhio, 6-0, 6-1
6. Alexandra Maytubby (UTPB) def. Kacie Berutti, 6-0, 6-1
1. Lisa Roslanova/ Baltazar (UTPB) def. Haddad/Briant, 8-3
2. Maytubby/Rebecca Stafford (UTPB) def. H. Smith/J. Smith, 8-2
3. Shelby Greene/Sarah Palacio (UTPB) def. Phouthakhio/Berutti, 8-2
Both teams will return to action on March 1 when they host Midwestern State and East Texas Baptist.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Texas gunman had 2 weapons, thousands of rounds at scene
- Children subject of Amber Alert found dead, mother arrested
- KTXS Forecast: Isolated sprinkles possible then drying afternoon
- North Texas son, 18, gets life in prison for killing parents
- Fugitive Monday: Man, 27, wanted by Abilene police for parole violation
- Texas Roadhouse in Abilene donating to non-profit for cancer patients
- Man pleads guilty in connection with brutal 2014 Abilene murder, sentenced to life
- Abilene man fires shot during fight with roommate
- $4,000 TV stolen during burglary of Abilene apartment
- More Abilene convenience store robberies reported
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend
- Low enrollment causing Brookesmith ISD to look into restructuring
- Firefighters respond to house fire in Clyde, rescue dog