BROWNWOOD, Texas - Howard Payne scored 42 points in the paint en route to a 76-66 win over Hardin-Simmons in American Southwest Conference women's basketball action at the Brownwood Coliseum.
The Lady Jackets took advantage of a 34-8 advantage in the paint in the first half. HPU had 12 offensive rebounds in the half to take a 42-31 halftime lead.
Howard Payne quickly built the lead to 50-35 in the second half with 15:06 to play, but the Cowgirls made a push.
HSU used a 9-1 run to cut it to 51-44 with 11:26 to play, but that is as close as they would get the rest of the game.
Taylor Klement led the Cowgirls with 23 points and Kourtney Holyfield added 13 points.
Brittani Gattis had 21 points and 10 rebounds for Howard Payne and Danyel Bradley added 21 points, 11 rebounds, five assists and four steals.
The Cowgirls are now 6-12 on the year and 6-9 in ASC action. Howard Payne improved to 12-6 overall and 11-5 in league play. HSU hosts Sul Ross State on Saturday at 1 p.m. at the Mabee Complex.
Information provided by HSU Athletics.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash