BROWNWOOD, Texas - Howard Payne scored 42 points in the paint en route to a 76-66 win over Hardin-Simmons in American Southwest Conference women's basketball action at the Brownwood Coliseum.
The Lady Jackets took advantage of a 34-8 advantage in the paint in the first half. HPU had 12 offensive rebounds in the half to take a 42-31 halftime lead.
Howard Payne quickly built the lead to 50-35 in the second half with 15:06 to play, but the Cowgirls made a push.
HSU used a 9-1 run to cut it to 51-44 with 11:26 to play, but that is as close as they would get the rest of the game.
Taylor Klement led the Cowgirls with 23 points and Kourtney Holyfield added 13 points.
Brittani Gattis had 21 points and 10 rebounds for Howard Payne and Danyel Bradley added 21 points, 11 rebounds, five assists and four steals.
The Cowgirls are now 6-12 on the year and 6-9 in ASC action. Howard Payne improved to 12-6 overall and 11-5 in league play. HSU hosts Sul Ross State on Saturday at 1 p.m. at the Mabee Complex.
Information provided by HSU Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated