BROWNWOOD, Texas - Howard Payne scored 42 points in the paint en route to a 76-66 win over Hardin-Simmons in American Southwest Conference women's basketball action at the Brownwood Coliseum.
The Lady Jackets took advantage of a 34-8 advantage in the paint in the first half. HPU had 12 offensive rebounds in the half to take a 42-31 halftime lead.
Howard Payne quickly built the lead to 50-35 in the second half with 15:06 to play, but the Cowgirls made a push.
HSU used a 9-1 run to cut it to 51-44 with 11:26 to play, but that is as close as they would get the rest of the game.
Taylor Klement led the Cowgirls with 23 points and Kourtney Holyfield added 13 points.
Brittani Gattis had 21 points and 10 rebounds for Howard Payne and Danyel Bradley added 21 points, 11 rebounds, five assists and four steals.
The Cowgirls are now 6-12 on the year and 6-9 in ASC action. Howard Payne improved to 12-6 overall and 11-5 in league play. HSU hosts Sul Ross State on Saturday at 1 p.m. at the Mabee Complex.
Information provided by HSU Athletics.
- Updated 'Emergency contract' awarded to build new bridge on Hwy 6 at Lake Cisco
- Updated Texas detective fired for mishandling child abuse cases
- Updated American Airlines plane lands safely despite engine flames
- Updated Texan fatally shot girlfriend, her friend, his son, 3, self
- Updated Police: Man robs New York City bank in ball gown, heels