ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' basketball teams will open its American Southwest Conference West Division slate this weekend on the road at Concordia and Mary Hardin-Baylor.
The Cowgirls, who are 6-7 overall and 4-3 in ASC action, will play in Austin against the Tornados at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday and a 5 1 p.m. Saturday against Mary Hardin-Baylor. Concordia is 8-6 on the year and 5-3 in ASC play. HSU comes into the weekend third in the ASC West standings. The Tornados are in second place and Howard Payne leads the ASC West standings with a 6-1 record.
HSU is led by the ASC's leading scorer Alexis Popelar. The senior is averaging 18.2 points per game and 7.9 rebounds per outing. That rebounding total is the most ever by an HSU perimeter player.
Senior Coco Cartwright has also moved up the career charts for 3-pointers made. She currently ranks fifth with 110 makes and will pass Mollie Brawner for fourth with 10 more makes. She also needs three assists for 200 in her career. She is second on the team in scoring averaging 10.2 points per game.
On the men's side, the Cowboys went into the week in a three-way tie for first place with Concordia and Mary Hardin-Baylor at 6-1 in league play. The three teams will all play each other this week. UMHB beat Concordia 98-95 last night in Belton to take a half-game lead in the standings. HSU is 9-3 overall.
The Cowboys have three active players averaging in double figures. Titus Mims leads the way with 14.4 points per outing and he is coming off back-to-back games with 20 or more points. Eric Taylor leads the team in assists with 44 and is averaging 13.1 points per contest. Darius Singletary is averaging 13.1 points per contest and has 41 assists and also averages 6.8 rebounds per contest.
Senior post player George Nelson is averaging 9.5 points and 10 rebounds per outing and is second in the ASC in rebounding.
Both games can be heard on www.hsuathletics.com with Al Pickett and Chad Grubbs on the call.
Information provided by Hardin-Simmons Athletic Department.
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Reward offered for killer of 8-year-old Texas girl
- Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program