FORTH WORTH, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' cross country teams opened their 2013 season at the Wesleyan Opener Classic at Gateway Park in Fort Worth.
The Cowgirls finished fourth with a team score of 101. Texas Wesleyan won the event with a team total of 15. The University of Dallas was second with 93 points.
Freshman Ashley Surton led the Cowgirls with a 12th place finish. She ran the 5K course in a time of 22:33. Mykala Williams ran a 23:54 to place 23rd. Kelya Jureczki finished 25th with a 24:28. Dannelle Kortkamp ran a 25:09 in her first collegiate outing and the lone returner for the Cowgirls Laura Brown ran a 27:27 to place 35th overall.
Jessica Davis of Texas Wesleyan won the event with a time of 18:28.
On the men's side, the Cowboys sent three runners and sophomore Clay Smith led the way with a time of 17:46. Thomas Fielding ran an 18:17 and Garrett Alexander ran a 19:59.
HSU returns to action Sept. 14 at the ACU Invitational.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated