ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons has announced its 2014 football schedule and it will look a lot different than the recent past.
HSU has opened up with a team from out of state every year since 2004, but the Cowboys will open the 2014 season on Sept. 6 in Georgetown against Southwestern University. The Pirates will be in their second season of competition. HSU leads the all-time series 5-2-2 and they last met in 1963.
Next up will be the home opener against Texas Lutheran. HSU and TLU have played every years since TLU became a Division III program in 1998 and HSU owns a 15-1 all-time record, including a 73-44 win this past fall.
HSU will then travel to Plainview on Sept. 20 for a tilt with NAIA Wayland Baptist. The Plainsmen went 0-10 this past year in their second season of competition since reestablishing football. HSU and Wayland last met in 1923 with the Cowboys winning 40-0. HSU owns a 2-0 all-time record against Wayland Baptist.
The Cowboys will close out September with a Sept. 27 game against Langston University at home. The two teams have met one other time, an HSU 41-0 win in 1997 in Langston. That game was part of the 100th year anniversary celebration of Langston University.
For the first time since the first year of the non-scholarship era HSU will play a regular-season game against Trinity at home on Oct. 4. HSU and Trinity waged two epic battles in the NCAA playoffs in 1999 and 2000. Trinity won 40-33 in San Antonio in 1999.
HSU won the rematch in 2000 in Abilene 33-30 to advance to the national semifinals on pass that was knocked away in the end zone by Melvin Dudley and Corbett Boone. Ironically, the pass was intended for Jerheme Urban who later played several years in the NFL and will be in his first season as the Trinity head coach.
With the defection of Mississippi College, the Cowboys will now only play five conference games. HSU will open conference play on Oct. 18 when it hosts Sul Ross State for homecoming.
The Cowboys close the season with three of the last four games on the road. They play at Howard Payne on Oct. 25, at Mary Hardin-Baylor on Nov. 1, close the home slate against East Texas Baptist on Nov. 8 and close the regular season at Louisiana College on Nov. 15.
--- www.hsuathletics.com ---
at Southwestern (Tex.)
HSU leads 5-2-2
HSU leads 15-1
at Wayland Baptist
HSU leads 2-0
HSU leads 1-0
HSU leads 19-6-4
*Sul Ross State (Homecoming)
HSU leads 31-3
*at Howard Payne
HSU leads 36-24-4
*at Mary Hardin-Baylor
UMHB leads 14-5
*East Texas Baptist
HSU leads 13-1
*at Louisiana College
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Updated Photo of Abilene veteran and his service dog goes viral
- Updated Justin Ross Harris sentenced to life for son's hot-car death
- 1 dead after 2 vehicles go into water-filled Texas sinkhole
- Iraan grad rounding up support from Texas cheerleaders after deadly bus crash
- Oakland fire death toll at 36, likely to climb as investigation continues
- 1 killed in crash on I-20 involving bus carrying high school cheerleaders
- Goodfellows spread holiday cheer in Sweetwater with toy drive
- Rangers turn completed Brown Co. Attorney investigation over to feds
- Ballinger man arrested for ramming multiple patrol cars
- Thousands attend Brownwood Christmas parade