ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' senior women's soccer player Katie Kuykendall has been named the national player of the year by D3soccer.com and two other Cowgirls were named to the all-American team by the publication.
"These are great awards for these girls, because they are all so deserving," said Wood. "They all are great students, great leaders and everything you want in a Division III student-athlete. It is also a big honor for our team to have three all-Americans."
Kuykendall is the first Cowgirl soccer player to be named the national player of the year and the second athlete in the school's division III history, joining women's basketball player Kendra Anderson in 2003.
The trio led the Cowgirls to an 18-1-2 record and a 10th straight American Southwest Conference title. HSU advanced to the sectional round of the NCAA Championships.
Kuykendall, a senior from Weatherford, scored 12 goals and had 23 assists for the Cowgirls.
"This is a big honor for Katie and our program," said head coach Marcus Wood. "She is the first three-time all-American in our program. She will go down as one of the best soccer players in Division III history and we couldn't be more proud of her accomplishments."
She finished her career with 47 goals and 84 assists. The 84 assists rank second all-time in all divisions. She was the ASC Offensive player of the year for the second straight year and was a four-time first-team all-ASC selection.
Kuykendall was a second team all-American as a junior and third-team as a sophomore. She was named an academic all-American as well.
Cramer helped spearhead a Cowgirl defense that allowed only eight goals the entire season. She also led the Cowgirls with 14 goals, 13 of which came off corner kicks.
Howard had 10 goals and 18 assists and she was also a CoSIDA academic all-American with a 4.0 GPA.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Financial shortfall forcing Meals on Wheels to cut breakfast delivery in Abilene
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash