ABILENE, Texas - McMurry's Athletic Director is simply no stranger to hiring a men's head basketball coach. He found one just ten months ago.
But last week, Chris Beard announced his resignation and move to take the same job at Angelo St.
"You never get used to it. Or you never *want to get used to it, but we've been really blessed. They've averaged 20 wins a year and 2 NCAA playoffs," Ron Holmes said.
Beard led the team to a 19-10 record in his one season, adding to the long tradition of excellence for McMurry Men's Basketball. Between the three head coaches in the last three years, Matt Garnett from 2010-11 and JD Isler from 2011-12, the War Hawks are averaging 20 wins per season.
Since the sudden resignation last week, Holmes said interest in the job has been through the roof.
"My phone blew up on Friday and Saturday and Sunday. And I'm in there now going through resumes, and we have some very strong candidates that are interested in this job.We'll find someone that can come in and evaluate the kids. That'll be part of the application process, or they're interviewing us."
Holmes did not give an immediate time table for finding Beard's replacement.
- Updated Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles welcomed home to Texas
- Updated 2016 rainfall totals exceed normal yearly average in Abilene
- Updated Rival schools lend football gear to Oklahoma team after fire