ABILENE, Texas - Abilene Christian head volleyball coach Wednesday announced the re-addition of Ijeoma Moronu to the Wildcats' coaching staff. A four-year all-Lone Star Conference setter, Moronu previously served Mock as a graduate assistant coach for ACU in 2011 before spending all of last season playing professionally in Denmark.
Moronu replaces former ACU assistant coach Jason Bibler, who recently accepted a similar position with Texas-Arlington.
"Ijeoma was an obvious choice from the start," said Mock, who is entering her eighth season as the Wildcats' head coach. "She was a tremendous player who could execute our game plan on the court with perfection. She's always had a great mind for the game, but more than that, she's also very personable and her love for this school makes her the ideal representative for ACU and its athletics department."
As a player, Moronu ranks second all-time in assists at ACU with 4,847 after finishing her senior season of 2010 with 1,169 – her third consecutive season with 1,000 or more assists. She also ranks among the school's top-10 leaders in blocks with 302.
Moronu received all-conference honors following each of her four years, which included first team accolades as a junior and senior. Moronu also was a three-time all-region pick who twice earned honorable mention citations before making the second team as a senior. She also excelled in the classroom and was tabbed LSC All-Academic on three occasions.
Moronu departed the Wildcats' bench prior to the start of 2012 to play for the Copenhagen-based Lyngby Volleyball Club, which plays in the top Danish elite league. She recently committed to Lyngby for a second season when Mock offered her the position.
"I wouldn't have broken my commitment for any other school but ACU," said Moronu. "But I felt like this opportunity was worth more than another year in Denmark. I'm excited to work with all our student-athletes – and the setters Haley (Rhoads) and Sarah (Siemens) – and help them become great players like Kellen, Jason (Bibler) and (assistant coach) Lindsey (Campbell) did for me. I'm familiar with all the girls coming back from working with them at camp, and I hope we can create a winning mentality that can be converted into victories."
Moronu graduated from Paschal High School in Fort Worth where she was a four-year letterwinner. She earned all-district and state honors as a senior.
The Wildcats open their 2013 season against UT-Arlington on Friday, Aug. 30 at 7 p.m. as part of the four-team UT-A Hilton Invitational.
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- Mistrial declared in sexual assault case against ex-Anson police chief
- Female football official earning her stripes
- Texas presidential poll shows Trump with lead going into election
- Abilene City Council approves hiring two code enforcement officers
- KTXS Forecast: Feeling like late September temperatures
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth