LUBBOCK, Texas - Texas Tech Head Football Coach Kliff Kingsbury has put the final touches on his first coaching staff, which he formally unveiled today at a news conference in the Spike Dikes Room at the Football Training Facility.
Kingsbury, who was named the 15th head coach in school history back on Dec. 16, now has a complete coaching staff in place and the group has hit the ground running in advance of National Signing Day on Feb. 6.
The coaching staff, including Kingsbury, features six men who all have degrees from Texas Tech.
Texas Tech grads Sonny Cumbie and Eric Morris will serve as co-offensive coordinators while Cumbie will coach the outside receivers and Morris the inside receivers. Both Cumbie and Morris had successful playing careers in the spread offense while student-athletes at Texas Tech. Completing the offensive coaching staff will be offensive line coach Lee Haysas, and running backs coach Mike Jinks.
Defensively, the Red Raiders will be led by defensive coordinator Matt Wallerstedt, who comes to Texas Tech from Texas A&M. Teaming up with Wallerstedt will be Tech graduate and co-defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach Mike Smith. Smith comes to Texas Tech from the New York Jets and was teammates at Tech with Cumbie and newly named safeties coach Trey Haverty. Kevin Curtis, a 2002 Texas Tech graduate, will coach the cornerbacks while John Scott Jr. will lead the defensive line.
Chad Dennis will coordinate the strength program for Red Raider Football as he has been named the head strength and conditioning coach.
MEET THE TEXAS TECH ASSISTANT COACHES
Sonny Cumbie- Co-Offensive Coordinator, Outside Receivers
Eric Morris - Co-Offensive Coordinator, Inside Receivers
Matt Wallerstedt- Defensive Coordinator
Mike Smith - Co-Defensive Coordinator, Outside Linebackers
Kevin Curtis - Cornerbacks
Trey Haverty - Safeties
Lee Hays - Offensive Line
Mike Jinks - Running Backs
John Scott Jr. - Defensive Line
Chad Dennis - Head Football Strength & Conditioning
Information provided by Texas Tech athletics department.
- Updated Convicted man on Texas Most Wanted sex offender list caught
- Updated Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Updated 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested
- Updated West Texas police say 6 slightly hurt when shot during robbery
- Updated 2 arrested for Texas bank robberies
- Santa Anna man, 28, arrested on drug charges in Coleman
- Texas recognizes Brown County gun store as oldest in state
- Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck
- City of Early budget proposal includes property tax increase
- Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase