ABILENE, Texas - Former Hardin-Simmons player Laura (Ricci) Lange has accepted an assistant coach position for the HSU women's basketball program
Lange, who played at HSU from 2000-03, and was part of four American Southwest Conference championship teams as a player. The Cowgirls went 102-11 in her four seasons and went to the NCAA Tournament each year.
She was a second-team all-conference selection as a sophomore and honorable mention selection as a junior and senior. Lange was a three-year starter and averaged 8.5 points and 5.1 rebounds for her career. She currently ranks second all-time in games played at HSU with 113, eighth in rebounds with 576, eighth in steals with 191 and ranks 14th all-time in scoring with 956 points.
She graduated from Hardin-Simmons with a bachelor's degree in Athletic Training and she graduated Magna Cum Laude. She also was named the Winnie and D.M. Wiggins Award Winner for Scholarship and Excellence. The honor is awarded to the graduating senior who has shown academic excellence throughout his or her entire college career.
After graduating from HSU, she worked as the head athletic trainer at Abilene Wylie High School and also worked with basketball program as an assistant coach.
She then moved to Abilene High and worked with the junior varsity since 2008. She was named the head coach for the 2012-13 season and led the Lady Eagles to the playoffs. It was the first time in 11 years Abilene High had won 20 games and the first time in eight years they had a winning record.
Lange, a native of Cross Plains, has been married to HSU alum Bryan Lange for 10 years and they have two children, Carter and Berkley.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- August 2016 ties August 1914 as wettest in Texas
- City of Abilene receives 2,000+ complaints or comments about water bills
- Updated Abilene requests proposals for new downtown hotel and 'festival district'
- Shuttle bus rear-ended at Boston airport, killing 2 Texans
- Agency shakeup: 4 regional CPS directors fired, including director of Abilene region
- Paint Creek reacts to Perry's Dancing with the Stars casting
- Businesses near Big Country lakes hoping for big Labor Day turnout
- Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested