ABILENE, Texas - Former Hardin-Simmons player Laura (Ricci) Lange has accepted an assistant coach position for the HSU women's basketball program
Lange, who played at HSU from 2000-03, and was part of four American Southwest Conference championship teams as a player. The Cowgirls went 102-11 in her four seasons and went to the NCAA Tournament each year.
She was a second-team all-conference selection as a sophomore and honorable mention selection as a junior and senior. Lange was a three-year starter and averaged 8.5 points and 5.1 rebounds for her career. She currently ranks second all-time in games played at HSU with 113, eighth in rebounds with 576, eighth in steals with 191 and ranks 14th all-time in scoring with 956 points.
She graduated from Hardin-Simmons with a bachelor's degree in Athletic Training and she graduated Magna Cum Laude. She also was named the Winnie and D.M. Wiggins Award Winner for Scholarship and Excellence. The honor is awarded to the graduating senior who has shown academic excellence throughout his or her entire college career.
After graduating from HSU, she worked as the head athletic trainer at Abilene Wylie High School and also worked with basketball program as an assistant coach.
She then moved to Abilene High and worked with the junior varsity since 2008. She was named the head coach for the 2012-13 season and led the Lady Eagles to the playoffs. It was the first time in 11 years Abilene High had won 20 games and the first time in eight years they had a winning record.
Lange, a native of Cross Plains, has been married to HSU alum Bryan Lange for 10 years and they have two children, Carter and Berkley.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated