RICHARDSON, Texas - Texas-Dallas' Tanner Gandy hit a go-ahead grand slam in the seventh inning to lead the Comets to an 8-6 win over Hardin-Simmons in American Southwest Conference action of Friday at the UTD Baseball Field in Richardson.
The Cowboys scored a run in the second inning when ASC RBI leader Brandon Walker hit a sacrifice fly to drive in Zack de Luna, who had tripled. UTD answered with a two-run home run by Nolan Smith in the bottom of the second.
HSU answered with three runs in the fourth inning on four hits with two outs. Walker, J.T. Thornton and Jason Vause all had RBI singles.
Thornton led off the sixth inning with a home run to give HSU a 5-2 lead. The Comets added a single run in the sixth on a Nick Marti RBI single.
The Comets took an 8-5 lead in the seventh with five runs. Gandy had the grand slam and Brandon Clounch added an RBI single.
HSU scored a run in the eighth on a Caleb Jacques sacrifice fly. Clounch then came on and recorded the final four outs of the game for his ninth save of the year.
Sam Hallen started and went six plus innings allowing seven hits and five runs. Alex Bradley relieved him and took the loss allowing two earned runs. Taylor Peables, Kyle Barnett and John Benedetto each worked in relief for the Cowboys.
Tyler Dauer started and went four innings, John Quisenberry worked two innings, Clayton Buckner worked an inning and two-thirds in front of Clounch.
Thornton had three hits for the Cowboys and Walker had two hits and drove in two runs. Gandy, Smith, Trevor Clifton and Jimmy Norris each had two hits for UTD.
HSU is now 17-21 on the year and 13-18 in league play. Texas-Dallas improved to 23-14 overall and 18-12 in conference play. The teams will play a doubleheader at noon on Saturday. HSU needs two wins to secure a berth in the ASC Tournament and at least one win to be a factor in any tiebreakers.
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Updated Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Updated Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Updated Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Updated Abilene allergist gives tips for dealing with fall allergies
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend