ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' tennis team picked up a much-needed 5-3 American Southwest Conference win over Mississippi College on Sunday afternoon in Tyler.
After the Cowboys had struggled in doubles losing at No. 1 and No. 2 for four straight matches prior to Saturday's blowout of Louisiana College, head coach Shane Williford made a change and it paid off into two wins in doubles play.
Erich Bein and Nathan Chavez teamed at No. 1 and won of John Mills and Christian Branning, 8-2. Michael McCullough played at No. 2 with Sam May and HSU won 8-3. Andrew Eurek and Jordan Wilson lost 8-5 at No. 3, but the Cowboys had the momentum heading into singles.
Bein quickly dispatched Branning, 6-3, 6-3 at No. 1 to make it 3-1. McCullough lost a tough three-setter in a third set tiebreaker and Chavez lost in straight sets at No. 3 singles to tie the match at three.
May and Jordan Wilson each lost their first sets, but both rallied to win the next two sets to give the Cowboys a much-needed conference win.
HSU is now 4-8 on the year and 3-3 in league play. MC fell to 6-3 and 2-2 in conference action. HSU will play at Texas Lutheran, Schreiner and Trinity next weekend.
Hardin-Simmons 5, Mississippi College 3
1. Erich Bein (HSU) def. Christian Branning, 6-3, 6-3
2. Matthew Martin (MC) def. Michael McCullough, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
3. John Mills (MC) def. Nathan Chavez, 6-0, 6-4
4. Sam May (HSU) def. Dudley Lampton, 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Jordan Wilson (HSU) def. Taylor Griffith, 1-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Andrew Eurek (HSU) vs. Travis Burdick, unfinished
1. Bein/Chavez (HSU) def. Branning/Mills, 8-2
2. McCullough/May (HSU) def. Lampton/Martin, 8-3
3. Travis Burdick/Taylor Griffith (MC) def. Eurek/Wilson, 8-5
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer