ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The Abilene Christian volleyball team was swept for the second time in as many matches Saturday afternoon after falling in three sets, 25-15, 25-23, 25-12 to host New Mexico during day two of the Lobo Invitational.
ACU (3-4) lost Friday to Northern Arizona, 3-0, and will need to defeat Townson later tonight in order to escape the Land of Enchantment with a .500 record.
After committing a match-high 11 errors in the first set, the Wildcats started to hold their own in the second set and carried a two-point (20-18) lead late in the game thanks to a 5-2 run in which the Lobos made three attack errors of their own.
But New Mexico soon regrouped and rattled off four-straight points to regain the lead at 22-20. Chantale Riddle scored three-consecutive points during this stretch on two blocks and a kill and then Maddie Mayfield delivered a service ace that forced the Wildcats into a timeout.
The stoppage in play appeared to help ACU at the onset as the Wildcats scored three of the next four points to tie the set at 23-23, but then Riddle delivered yet another kill followed by the clinching point from Julia Warren.
In the third set, New Mexico used a big 13-2 run in jumping out to a 15-5 lead. The Lobos then pushed their lead out to 12 points at 20-8 and finished the set by winning five of the last six points.
ACU hit -.065 in the third set and -.054 for the match. Sophomore Jennie Loerch led her side with eight kills, but also made 11 errors. The Lobos, meanwhile, hit .211 to go along with their 10.0 blocks.
Riddle led all players with 13 kills, played a role in four blocks and hit an impressive .310 in finishing with 16.5 points.
Sarah Siemens had 18 of the Wildcats' 22 assists and sophomore libero Madison Hoover was held to only three digs while Caley Johnson made 12 and Siemens had eight.
ACU's match vs. Townson begins at 5 p.m. MT/6 p.m. CT.
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated