RICHARDSON, Texas - Lone Star Conference Commissioner Stan Wagnon has issued the following statement in regard to conference membership:
"The Lone Star Conference has been notified by McMurry University of its decision to no longer pursue membership in NCAA Division II. At this time, we have had limited communication with officials at McMurry, and some questions remain about how today's announcement might affect McMurry's commitment to the Lone Star Conference as an affiliate member in the sports of Men's and Women's Indoor Track & Field for Winter 2014, Men's and Women's Outdoor Track & Field for Spring 2014, and Football for Fall 2014.
As Commissioner, I will work alongside the leadership at our LSC member campuses in the hours and days ahead to determine a prudent course of action. Further, I have assurance from McMurry president Sandra Harper of her desire to minimize disruption to our schedules during this transition. It will be our goal to reach conclusions on these matters with McMurry as quickly as possible."
McMurry announced Friday they will remain a Division III school, ending their D2 provisional phase. The War Hawks are still searching for a new conference to compete in.
Information for this story provided by LSC Staff.
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- Police arrest San Angelo city employee after theft investigation
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- Texas ag chief OKs use of poison to bring a 'hog apocalypse'