LUBBOCK, Texas - There's a new gun-slinging quarterback at Texas Tech.
Baker Mayfield, the Big 12's offensive player of the week as a true freshman walk-on, appeared poised in his first start and led the Red Raiders to 41-23 win at SMU.
Coach Kliff Kingsbury said Mayfield was "reckless" with the ball against the Mustangs. He twice recovered his own third-quarter fumbles and came close to throwing a couple of interceptions. He completed 43 of 60 passes for 413 yards and four touchdowns.
Kingsbury said Mayfield got better as the game went on. In the fourth quarter, he passed for 175 yards and two TDs.
Kingsbury on Monday would not say if Mayfield would start the home opener against Stephen F. Austin on Saturday night but there's little reason to think otherwise.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash