LUBBOCK, Texas - There's a new gun-slinging quarterback at Texas Tech.
Baker Mayfield, the Big 12's offensive player of the week as a true freshman walk-on, appeared poised in his first start and led the Red Raiders to 41-23 win at SMU.
Coach Kliff Kingsbury said Mayfield was "reckless" with the ball against the Mustangs. He twice recovered his own third-quarter fumbles and came close to throwing a couple of interceptions. He completed 43 of 60 passes for 413 yards and four touchdowns.
Kingsbury said Mayfield got better as the game went on. In the fourth quarter, he passed for 175 yards and two TDs.
Kingsbury on Monday would not say if Mayfield would start the home opener against Stephen F. Austin on Saturday night but there's little reason to think otherwise.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated