LUBBOCK, Texas - There's a new gun-slinging quarterback at Texas Tech.
Baker Mayfield, the Big 12's offensive player of the week as a true freshman walk-on, appeared poised in his first start and led the Red Raiders to 41-23 win at SMU.
Coach Kliff Kingsbury said Mayfield was "reckless" with the ball against the Mustangs. He twice recovered his own third-quarter fumbles and came close to throwing a couple of interceptions. He completed 43 of 60 passes for 413 yards and four touchdowns.
Kingsbury said Mayfield got better as the game went on. In the fourth quarter, he passed for 175 yards and two TDs.
Kingsbury on Monday would not say if Mayfield would start the home opener against Stephen F. Austin on Saturday night but there's little reason to think otherwise.
- Updated Texas gunman had 2 weapons, thousands of rounds at scene
- Children subject of Amber Alert found dead, mother arrested
- KTXS Forecast: Isolated sprinkles possible then drying afternoon
- Updated North Texas son, 18, gets life in prison for killing parents
- Updated Fugitive Monday: Man, 27, wanted by Abilene police for parole violation
- Texas Roadhouse in Abilene donating to non-profit for cancer patients
- Man pleads guilty in connection with brutal 2014 Abilene murder, sentenced to life
- Abilene man fires shot during fight with roommate
- $4,000 TV stolen during burglary of Abilene apartment
- More Abilene convenience store robberies reported
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend
- Low enrollment causing Brookesmith ISD to look into restructuring
- Firefighters respond to house fire in Clyde, rescue dog