LUBBOCK, Texas - There's a new gun-slinging quarterback at Texas Tech.
Baker Mayfield, the Big 12's offensive player of the week as a true freshman walk-on, appeared poised in his first start and led the Red Raiders to 41-23 win at SMU.
Coach Kliff Kingsbury said Mayfield was "reckless" with the ball against the Mustangs. He twice recovered his own third-quarter fumbles and came close to throwing a couple of interceptions. He completed 43 of 60 passes for 413 yards and four touchdowns.
Kingsbury said Mayfield got better as the game went on. In the fourth quarter, he passed for 175 yards and two TDs.
Kingsbury on Monday would not say if Mayfield would start the home opener against Stephen F. Austin on Saturday night but there's little reason to think otherwise.
- Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen