ABILENE, Texas - The McMurry baseball team totaled just two runs and 10 total hits as it dropped both games of a double header to St. Edward's University on Friday. McM lost the first game, 7-0, before dropping game two, 4-2.
In game one, the War Hawks put together just two hits in the game as McM dropped that contest, 7-0. Ruben Zendeas and Eric Mortiz notched the only two hits, both singles. Spencer Smith dropped his third straight decision, allowing nine hits and six earned runs through 4.1 innings.
In game two, the War Hawks got on the board first in the top of the first inning. After Zendejas reached base in the first at bat of the game, Ricky Garcia quickly brought him in with a double to left-center to make the score 1-0.
The War Hawks would add another run in the top of the second inning. After Nick Marsh and Jordan Kennedy reached base on back-to-back singles to start the inning, Adam Neubauer attempted a sacrifice bunt, but reached base on an error by the first baseman to load the bases with no one out. Greg Koll was the next batter, and brought in Marsh on a sacrifice fly to make the score 2-0.
Chase Moreland kept the Hilltoppers off the board until the bottom of the fourth when St. Edwards tied the score on a double, to make the score 2-2. The two teams would then remain tied until the bottom of the eighth inning when St. Eds scored two more on just one hit to round out the scoring, 4-2.
Despite out-hitting the Hilltoppers, 8-3, in game two, the War Hawks stranded nine runners in the game to fall to 14-20 on the season.
Moreland pitched his way to a complete game, allowing just three hits while giving five free-passes and four earned runs in the game. He also notched a season-high, 12 strikeouts in the contest, the most by a War Hawks pitcher this season.
McMurry and St. Edward's will finish their three-game series on Saturday with a nine-inning contest. The game is scheduled for a 1 p.m. start.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Updated Abilene police make urgent request for help finding missing elderly woman
- Updated Deadly accident in Callahan County, road closed
- KTXS Forecast: Rain moves out, warmer weather & sunny skies expected
- Updated Rescue network brings adoptable dogs from Texas to Minnesota
- Stepson talks how shooter, victim met before San Angelo murder-suicide
- Brownwood ISD's new calendar includes 3-day weekends every month
- Early man in jail for scamming elderly couple out of $15,000
- Brownwood raid leads to arrests for illegal drugs
- Brownwood takes steps to address wild hog problem at city field
- Brownwood man sentenced to 25 years for role in prison gang drug ring