EDMUND, Oklahoma - Kyle Sargent handled matters with the bat and Joel DePorte took care of things from the mound, leading McMurry's baseball team to an 8-2 win over Dallas Christian College in the first round of the National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) Central Region Tournament. The win improved the War Hawks record to 24-26 on the year.
The No. 3-seeded McM team advances to the second round on Wednesday evening at 8 p.m. versus No. 2-seed Grace (Neb.) University (26-14) , played at Oklahoma Christian University.
Sargent had his 20th multi-hit game of the season, going a perfect 4-for-4 from the plate – including a pair of doubles - as the War Hawks' leadoff man. Sargent, a junior shortstop, scored two runs and drove in another.
Zack Hagan went 3-for-5 with a run scored and three runs batted in on the day, the only other McM player with more than one hit. All of the McMurry starters had at least one hit, as the War Hawks collected 14 hits as a team.
Sargent and Christian Simmons hit back-to-back doubles to open the game and give McM the 1-0 lead out of the blocks. Simmons went 1-for-2 on the day and walked three times.
DePorte gave McM head coach John Byington another strong performance, going eight innings and permitting two runs (one earned), scattering six hits. Once again, DePorte's control was impeccable as he struck out five and did not walk a batter.
DePorte improved his personal record to a team leading 9-4 on the year, lowering his earned run average to 2.62.
Jesus Vasquez tossed a scoreless ninth to close out the win for the War Hawks.
McMurry built up a 4-0 lead after three innings and increased that advantage to 8-1 through six. In the bottom of the third, three consecutive singles by Eric Preuss, AJ Dupre and Greg Koll were eventually parlayed into three runs for the War Hawks.
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth
- Teen killed in Coleman County motorcycle-truck crash
- Teacher Tribute: First-year Wylie teacher receives season's first honor
- Brookesmith school board selects interim superintendent
- Victim testifies against former chief in Anson sexual assault trial
- Clyde Intermediate School teachers save student from choking