WACO, Texas - The Heartland Conference has recognized McMurry University basketball players Keshia Collins (Midland, TX) and Alfred Perez (Spring, TX) – both seniors - among its 2013-14 post-season award winners announced today. Collins was named second team all-Heartland for women's hoops, while Perez was an honorable mention for men basketball.
For Collins, it marked the fourth time in as many years that she has earned an all-conference award: her first two years when McM was NCAA III and a member of the American Southwest Conference, and the past two seasons as the War Hawks competed in the Heartland Conference and NCAA II.
In 2013-14, Collins led McM in virtually every offensive and defensive category. She was on the floor nearly 32 minutes per contest, averaging 17.0 points, 6.7 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 2.8 steals and 1.2 blocks per game. Collins was the model of consistency, scoring in double digits in 22 of 26 games and posting a career-high 31 points in her finale last Saturday (at UT-Permian Basin).
Collins finished her career ranking second all-time for McM in points (1,466), rebounds (690) and steals (210). She also amassed 94 blocked shots and 210 assists during her time in the Maroon and White. Her career averages for 106 games played – every game possible during her four seasons – was 13.8 points, 6.5 rebounds, 2.8 steals, 0.9 blocks and 1.9 steals per game.
Perez had a career season in 2013-14 for McM. Perez led McM in scoring at 13.7 points per game, while also pulling down 5.9 rebounds per game (second on the team). Perez also led the War Hawks in both blocked shots, 33, and field goal percentage (converting a nifty .553 percent from the floor).
Perez was among McMurry's top shooters from the free throw stripe, as well, making good on nearly 79 percent of his attempts. He led the McM team in scoring six times this season.
Information for this story provided by ASC Athletics.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer