ABILENE, Texas - McMurry University's men's and women's basketball programs are opening their doors – literally – to Abilene and the surrounding community in a "Meet Your War Hawks" Day this coming Saturday, December 8. The McM women tip-off versus Wayland Baptist University at 2 p.m., followed by the men's game at 4 p.m. against Incarnate Word.
General admission seats are just $1.
However, all military members, civil/emergency personnel and ABYA participants, as well as their families - are being admitted free of charge that day. All children 12-under are always free for McM home basketball games.
Fans will be treated to halftime entertainments and activities at both games. Among the events is the Double Dave's Half-Court Pizza Shooting Contest – open to all fans – and prize giveaways during both games.
"We appreciate our loyal fans of War Hawk Basketball, including our students," said first-year McM men's head coach Chris Beard<http://www.mcmurrysports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=217>, who worked under coaching legend Bob Knight prior to coming to the War Hawks' program. "We also want to reach out to others in our community that have not been to a McMurry basketball game before. Saturday's games will be quality college basketball and we hope to have a great crowd. We hope the dollar tickets will help some families be able to attend."
Veronica Snow<http://www.mcmurrysports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=222>, in her sixth season at the helm of the War Hawks' women's team, pointed to the reciprocal value of events like Saturday's "Meet Your War Hawks" Day.
"I see it as a win-win situation," Snow said. "It's wonderful when our players get to showcase our teams – as well as our University – to fans young and old. But it's equally important that our players see the faces in the stands and realize that they (the players) are the faces of McMurry and the Abilene area. We have a mutual responsibility with fans: we want their support at games and we need to let them know we are always giving our best as their representatives."
The McMurry Athletics Department will also be recognizing several Fall Sports teams for their post-season accomplishments: Football- winners of last Saturday's C.H.A.M.P.S. Heart of Texas Bowl; Volleyball- National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) national champions; Men's Soccer- NCCAA 6th in the nation & Central Region champs, and; Women's Soccer- NCCAA Central Region semi-finalists.
Information for this story provided by ACU Sports Information.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- San Angelo woman dies in three-vehicle collision near Ballinger
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer