GOODWELL, Okla. - The McMurry University men's basketball team picked up its third road victory of the season, defeating the Aggies of Oklahoma Panhandle State University, 76-51, on Friday afternoon.
The War Hawks opened the game on a 10-2 run behind four points each by Alfred Perez and AJ Peralta. The team would then push their lead to as many as 14 points On two free-throws by Perez with 14 minutes left to give McM the 16-2 lead.
OPSU showed some fight in the contest, and chipped away slowly at the War Hawks lead in the first half. A three-point shot by Jared Messer cut the McM lead to four points, 32-28, with 1:16 remaining in the first half. However, in the last minute, McMurry rattled off eight points in a row, including a basket by Peralta and back-to-back three-point shots by Brock Kimball and Takoby Jackson to give the War Hawks a 12-point lead at the half, 40-28.
In the second half, OPSU would get as close as 12 points before the War Hawks extended the lead to 20 points on a layup by Thomas Brandsma with just under 10 minutes to go. McM would not allow the Aggies to cut the lead to less than 20 points for the rest of the contest, as they cruised to the 25-point lead.
Perez and Peralta led the way for the War Hawks offensively, scoring 17 and 16 points respectively. They were each also one rebound shy of a double-double as they grabbed nine boards each. Kaylim Noel finished the game with nine points, while Kimball and Jackson scored eight points each.
Defensively, the War Hawks held OPSU to just 31 percent shooting on the game, while forcing 14 turnovers. McM also dominated the glass, outrebounding the Aggies 49-29 over the course of the contest.
McMurry will be back in action on Saturday, February 23, when they travel to Odessa to take on the Falcons of Texas – Permian Basin. The contest is scheduled for a 4 p.m. start.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated