ARLINGTON, Texas - The McMurry women's tennis squad was unable to win a match in its Heartland Conference opener, falling to then University of Arkansas-Fort Smith, 9-0, at the Arlington Tennis Center.
The loss kept the War Hawk women winless (0-4, 0-1 HC) in the early going of the 2014 campaign. The Lions improved the 4-3 overall (1-0 HC).
UAFS swept all three doubles matches and also won all six singles contests. The Lions took five of six singles matches in straight sets from the War Hawks.
Only freshman Chole Patterson, playing No. 4 singles, went to a third set. Patterson lost the first set to UAFS' Masa Podunavac, 6-2. Patterson won the second set by a 6-3 score. In the tie-breaking pro-set in the deciding third set, Podunavac won 10-6.
2014 McMurry Women's Tennis
Arkansas-Fort Smith vs McMurry University (Mar 07, 2014)
Arkansas-Fort Smith 9, McMurry University 0
Mar 07, 2014 at Arlington, Texas (Arlington Tennis Center)
1. Abby White (UAFS) def. Lauren Renner (MCMWT) 6-3, 6-1
2. Brittaney McCasin (UAFS) def. Shayne Cook (MCMWT) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
3. Amy Belanger (UAFS) def. Jessica Bentley (MCMWT) 6-3, 6-2
4. Masa Podunavac (UAFS) def. Chloe Patterson (MCMWT) 6-2, 3-6, 10-6
5. Madison Carr (UAFS) def. Madison Hathorn (MCMWT) 6-1, 6-1
6. Taylor Price (UAFS) def. Autumn Patterson (MCMWT) 6-2, 6-4
1. Abby White/Brittaney McCasin (UAFS) def. Lauren Renner/Shayne Cook (MCMWT) 8-6
2. Amy Belanger/Abby Thompson (UAFS) def. Bree Brosig/Jessica Bentley (MCMWT) 8-4
3. Whitney Hobson/Madison Carr (UAFS) def. Madison Hathorn/Chloe Patterson (MCMWT) 8-1
Arkansas-Fort Smith 4-3, 1-0 HC
McMurry University 0-4, 0-1 HC
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Interstate 20 bridge construction may impact businesses
- AISD announces principal change at Abilene High School
- Brownwood ISD considering random drug testing for extracurricular activities
- Abilene man, 29, arrested on robbery charges
- Colorado City correctional facility facing closure under proposed budget
- Fundraising continues for families of victims in deadly Haskell County crash
- Liquor store owner wants Abilene City Council to extend alcohol sales
- Taylor County board meets for first time since commissioner's arrest
- TxDOT paying for school zone sign near Victory Life Academy
- Brown County zookeeper wants rollback of ban on exotic animals