ARLINGTON, Texas - The McMurry women's tennis squad was unable to win a match in its Heartland Conference opener, falling to then University of Arkansas-Fort Smith, 9-0, at the Arlington Tennis Center.
The loss kept the War Hawk women winless (0-4, 0-1 HC) in the early going of the 2014 campaign. The Lions improved the 4-3 overall (1-0 HC).
UAFS swept all three doubles matches and also won all six singles contests. The Lions took five of six singles matches in straight sets from the War Hawks.
Only freshman Chole Patterson, playing No. 4 singles, went to a third set. Patterson lost the first set to UAFS' Masa Podunavac, 6-2. Patterson won the second set by a 6-3 score. In the tie-breaking pro-set in the deciding third set, Podunavac won 10-6.
2014 McMurry Women's Tennis
Arkansas-Fort Smith vs McMurry University (Mar 07, 2014)
Arkansas-Fort Smith 9, McMurry University 0
Mar 07, 2014 at Arlington, Texas (Arlington Tennis Center)
1. Abby White (UAFS) def. Lauren Renner (MCMWT) 6-3, 6-1
2. Brittaney McCasin (UAFS) def. Shayne Cook (MCMWT) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
3. Amy Belanger (UAFS) def. Jessica Bentley (MCMWT) 6-3, 6-2
4. Masa Podunavac (UAFS) def. Chloe Patterson (MCMWT) 6-2, 3-6, 10-6
5. Madison Carr (UAFS) def. Madison Hathorn (MCMWT) 6-1, 6-1
6. Taylor Price (UAFS) def. Autumn Patterson (MCMWT) 6-2, 6-4
1. Abby White/Brittaney McCasin (UAFS) def. Lauren Renner/Shayne Cook (MCMWT) 8-6
2. Amy Belanger/Abby Thompson (UAFS) def. Bree Brosig/Jessica Bentley (MCMWT) 8-4
3. Whitney Hobson/Madison Carr (UAFS) def. Madison Hathorn/Chloe Patterson (MCMWT) 8-1
Arkansas-Fort Smith 4-3, 1-0 HC
McMurry University 0-4, 0-1 HC
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash