ABILENE, Texas - McMurry University women's tennis picked up its first Heartland Conference win of the year with a 5-4 victory over the University of Texas of the Permian Basin at the Seidel-Swagerty Tennis Center on Senior Day. The win was McM's fifth in its last seven outings.
The victory improved the War Hawks to 6-12 overall and 1-4 in the Heartland. The Falcons fell to 10-8 on the year and are now 1-4 in league play.
McM was able to take a giant step towards the much-needed match win by sweeping all three doubles competitions to open the day. At No. 1 doubles, the McMurry duo of Lauren Renner and Shayne Cook defeated UTPB's Lisa Roslanova and Olivia Baltazar, 8-5. At No 2 doubles it was Jessica Bentley and Bree Brosig topping the Falcon tandem of Rebecca Stafford and Alexandra Maytubby, also by an 8-5 score.
No. 3 doubles belonged to the War Hawks' pair of freshmen, Madison Hathorn and Chloe Patterson. The Hathorn-Patterson connection won for a team-leading seventh time this season by defeating Shelby Greene and Sarah Palacio, 8-3.
McMurry need just two wins out of the six singles matches to clinch the team score and that's just what it managed. At No. 3 singles, Cook had an easy time dispatching of Greene in straight sets, 6-0, 6-2 for the fourth team point of the day.
However, with UTPB taking straight-set wins at the Nos. 1 and 6 matches, the team score tightened to 4-2. But senior Salitza Abrantes – playing at No. 3 singles and appearing in just her second singles match of the year – came through big time on the day she and the team's three other seniors were being honored. Abrantes beat UTPB's Baltazar in the first set, 6-3, but lost the second by a 6-4 score. In the deciding third set, Abrantes left little doubt, with a crushing 6-1 victory that but the match in McMurry's win column.
Along with Abrantes, Renner, Sheri Copenhaver and Autumn Patterson were the other War Hawk seniors recognized in pre-match ceremonies.
McM will have little time to savor the win, as the team plays Heartland Conference leader St. Mary's University on Friday morning (11 a.m.) in Mason, Texas.
McMurry University 5, Texas-Permian Basin 4
Apr 17, 2014 at Abilene, Texas (Seidel-Swagerty Tennis Center)
1. Lisa Roslanova (UTPB-W) def. Lauren Renner (MCMWT) 6-2, 6-4
2. Shayne Cook (MCMWT) def. Shelby Greene (UTPB-W) 6-0, 6-2
3. Salitza Abrantes (MCMWT) def. Olivia Baltazar (UTPB-W) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
4. Sofia Ochoa Arminana (UTPB-W) def. Autumn Patterson (MCMWT) 7-6, 4-6, 11-9
5. Sydney Holdampf (UTPB-W) def. Allie Hawkins (MCMWT) 6-4, 5-7, 12-10
6. Alexandra Maytubby (UTPB-W) def. Sheri Copenhaver (MCMWT) 6-2, 6-2
1. Lauren Renner/Shayne Cook (MCMWT) def. Lisa Roslanova/Olivia Baltazar (UTPB-W) 8-5
2. Jessica Bentley/Bree Brosig (MCMWT) def. Rebecca Stafford/Alexandra Maytubby (UTPB-W) 8-5
3. Madison Hathorn/Chloe Patterson (MCMWT) def. Shelby Greene/Sarah Palacio (UTPB-W) 8-3
Texas-Permian Basin 10-9, 1-5 HC
McMurry University 6-12, 1-3 HC
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Updated Video shows man using stolen credit card at Abilene store
- Updated Circus acrobats tie the knot on tightrope during Texas show
- Updated Judge: Reagan shooter can leave hospital to live in Virginia
- Updated Abilene mother fears daughter, 12, victim of human trafficking
- Updated Suspect sought in death of Texas journalist, investor