EULESS, Texas - Classes have been out for just a few days at McMurry University, but men's golfer Matt Porter (Seymour, Texas) has been one busy War Hawk. On Tuesday, Porter tied for 10th place at the US Open local qualifier at the 6,936-yard Texas Star Golf Course.
Porter shot a three-over par 73 to finish in a four-way tie for 10th, with just the top nine advancing to the sectional qualifier. However, Porter won a playoff for the first alternate spot with a par on the first playoff hole, meaning that if anyone above him withdraws or receives a sponsor exemption, Porter would have the opportunity to advance.
Last Thursday (May 9), Porter played in the HP Byron Nelson Championship pre-qualifier at the Lantana Golf Course in Bartonville, Texas. Porter got some late-round magic to post an even-par round of 72 and become one of those advancing.
Sitting at one-over par heading into the par-five 13th, Porter eagled the hole to move to one-under. He would need that shot after bogeying the 14th. He finished with four-consecutive pars and – after waiting out a rain delay for the field to finish – tied for 24th place, right at the cut line.
That sent Porter to Monday's open qualifying tourney for the Byron Nelson at 7,256-yard, par-72 The Lakes at Castle Hill Country Club course in Lewisville, Texas. Porter shot a four-over round of 76, with just the top four finishers advancing. Porter had five bogeys and his lone birdie came on the par-3 7th hole.
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated