ABILENE, Texas - Needing to win six of its last seven regular season games in order to obtain a post-season birth in the National Christian College Athletic Association's Central Regional Championship tournament, the McMurry baseball team will host a four-game set with Newman University on Friday and Saturday.
McMurry is coming off a 2-1 series loss at the hands of Texas A&M International. The Dustdevils took the first two games by scored of 9-0 and 1-0 respectively, with McMurry capturing game three by a score of 7-6.
In the win, McM's Aaron Burns earned his sixth win of the season, tying him for fourth place in the Heartland Conference in that category. Casey Berryman also added two RBI in the contest and Alex Hajduk picked up two RBI on his first hit of the season in the victory.
In the Jets' previous outing, Newman took a 2-1 series decision over UTPB. Newman won games one and three by scores of 8-4 and 4-1, dropping the middle contest, 10-4.
In the 4-1 victory, the Jets' pitching staff combined to hold UTPB to just five hits over nine innings of work, while striking out eight batters. Newman also received RBI from Jerrod Flax, Ricky Sanchez and Terrell Brown.
So far this season, six different War Hawks have registered at least 10 RBI, led by Ricky Garcia's 16. Jon Mejia has 15 while Eric Moritz has driven in 14 on the year. Cody Howard, Dylan De Leon, and Berryman have driven in 12, 11 and 10 RBI, respectively.
On the hill, along with being ranked in the top five in wins, Burns also ranks in among the conference's best in innings pitched (tied for fifth at 76.1) and strikeouts (third with 57). He also boasts a 6-3 record with a 3.07 ERA over 13 appearances.
This season, the Jets are being led by Ricky Sanchez's .361 average. Flax leads the team in hits with 47 while Ruben Marrero tops the team in RBI, having driven in 27 runs so far.
On the mound, Jacob Furr and reliever James Hilts lead the Jets' pitching staff. Furr is 6-2 on the year with a 2.96 ERA and Hilts is boasting a 2.51 ERA in 10 appearances.
The last time the War Hawks and Jets squared off, Newman took both games of a double header, 7-2 and 8-4. The third game of the series was rained out.
Due to the rain out of game three in the first series, McMurry and Newman will play a four-game set with a double header being played on both Friday and Saturday. Friday's twin-bill will begin at 3 p.m., with Saturday's double header slated for a 1 p.m. start. Before Saturday's contests, the War hawks will honor the six seniors who will be playing in the final home series of their careers.
Fans can catch full coverage of both days on a web broadcast on www.hprnetwork.com. The first game of the double header can also caught on KKHR 106.3 FM, however, due to time constraints, the second game will ONLY be broadcasted online.
Information for this story provided by McMurry Sports Information.
- Calais 'Jungle': Demolition of massive migrant camp to begin
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- KTXS Forecast: Cloud cover temporarily increases for Tuesday
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer