ABILENE, Texas - McMurry University closed out the 2014 National Christian College Athletic Association Central Region Championship Tournament (NCCAA) – as well as its own season – with a 5-3 loss to Southern Nazarene University at the Seidel-Swagerty Tennis Center. The War Hawks (8-15) finished third in the NCCAA tourney.
Freshman Chloe Patterson was named to the all-tournament team for McM. Playing the No. 4 position, she went 2-0 in singles – including a three-set win over eventual tournament MVP Leah Smith from Dallas Baptist – and was leading in her third singles match (versus Southern Nazarene) that was halted when SNU had clinched the team victory. She was also 1-1 in doubles play.
Against Southern Nazarene, McMurry received two team points when the Crimson Storm had to default at No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles. But SNU won both Nos. 1 and 2 doubles, as well as the Nos. 1-3 singles bouts.
McMurry's only contested win came from freshman Allie Hawkins at No. 5 singles. Hawkins blanked SNU's Haley Cantwell, 6-0, 6-0 for the final 5-3 team score.
Southern Nazarene 5, McMurry University 3
Apr 26, 2014 at Abilene, Texas (Seidel-Swagerty Tennis Center)
1. Masha Andrianova (SNU) def. Lauren Renner (MCMWT) 6-1, 6-3
2. Natalia Moreno (SNU) def. Shayne Cook (MCMWT) 6-4, 6-1
3. Marina Shipilova (SNU) def. Salitza Abrantes (MCMWT) 6-1, 6-2
4. Chloe Patterson (MCMWT) vs. Karina Kotova (SNU) 6-4, 5-3, unfinished
5. Allie Hawkins (MCMWT) def. Haley Cantwell (SNU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Autumn Patterson (MCMWT) def. No player (SNU), by default
1. Masha Andrianova/Natalia Moreno (SNU) def. Lauren Renner/Shayne Cook (MCMWT) 8-3
2. Marina Shipilova/Karina Kotova (SNU) def. Jessica Bentley/Bree Brosig (MCMWT) 8-6
3. Madison Hathorn/Chloe Patterson (MCMWT) def. No player/No player (SNU), by default
Southern Nazarene 8-5
McMurry University 8-15
NCCAA Central Region Championships (round robin tournament)
Dallas Baptist was champion (3-0); Southern Nazarene 2nd (2-1);
Mcmurry 3rd (1-2); Colorado Christian 4th (0-3)
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.