CLAREMORE, Okla. - McMurry University dispatched Rogers State University 5-3 in Heartland Conference action Monday afternoon at Soldier Field.
McM faced two opponents: Rogers State and constant rain that had no intention of letting up.
"It was raining pretty hard and it's a good thing we play our home games on turf," McM head coach Alan Riches said. "The girls know how the ball bounces on turf and if we played our games on grass it would have been a different type of game."
Despite the poor conditions, the War Hawks used two quick goals to gain momentum.
At the 7:44-mark of the first half, Aleria Luna (Duncanville, Texas/Duncanville HS) converted a free kick from 25 yards out and three minutes later Paige Harwell (Trophy Club, Texas/Northwest HS) scored from the top of the box and McM entered halftime with a 2-0 lead.
"It's always encouraging to see your offense produce early," Riches said. "And it turned out the early goals were key for us."
McM kept its offense rolling – with a little help from their opponent – early in the second half.
The War Hawks benefited from an own goal at the 48-minute mark and Kristen Grant (Copperas Cove, Texas/Copperas Cove HS) scored 15 minutes later, which extended the lead to 4-0.
RSU (1-8, 0-3 Heartland) responded with goals at the 65-minute and 74-minute mark, which made it a two-score game. However, moments later Grant beat RSU goalkeeper Jordan Harris one-on-one for her second goal of the afternoon.
Grant, who goes by the nickname "Ducky", played well within her element.
"I've preached to this team that each player will have their moment," Riches said. "Kristen (Grant) stepped up and scored two huge goals and had her moment. For someone who goes by "Ducky", it's fitting she played some of her best soccer in the rain."
McM (4-5-2, 1-2-1 Heartland) returns to the pitch Oct. 21 at St. Edward's University.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated