SAN ANTONIO, Texas – - St. Mary's University scored three goals in the final 12 minutes of regulation to defeat McMurry University 5-2 Saturday afternoon in Heartland Conference action at Sigma Beta Chi Field.
Cody Gentry (Boerne, Texas /Boerne Champion HS) and Jacob Howdeshell (Missouri City, Texas/Elkins HS) netted first half goals to give McMurry a 2-1 halftime lead. However, the Rattlers used a huge second-half offensive explosion to bury the War Hawks.
Less than three minutes into the second half Alex Gonzalez scored the first of two goals off a ricochet to tie it at 2-2.
Jake Wolf and Gonzalez scored moments before the 80-minute mark to give St Mary's (4-10, 4-4 Heartland) a commanding 4-2 lead.
Forrest Harrington converted a penalty kick at the 82-minute mark to cap the scoring.
Senior goalkeeper Neil O'Sullivan (Saffron Walden, England/Cloud County CC) had a busy day in net and made a match-high nine saves.
McM (4-11, 2-5) concludes its regular season Monday at Texas A&M International University.
Information provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- State Rep. submits bill to end Brown Co. Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Texas ag. commisisoner calls for ‘hog apocalypse'
- Abilene City Council chooses water rate study after high bills
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS