ABILENE, Texas - McMurry University improved to 4-0 in Heartland Conference action with a convincing 3-0 (25-20, 25-20, 25-18) victory over Oklahoma Panhandle State University Thursday night at Kimbrell Arena.
"It's evident that our difficult nonconference schedule is playing dividends right now," McM volleyball coach Cammie Petree said. "We are better today than we were at beginning of the season and that's what you want to see."
Junior Kayla Hines (Robinson, Texas/Robinson HS) had a big night for the War Hawks. The outside hitter recorded a game-high 13 kills and a .407 hitting percentage.
"Kayla has really stepped up her passing and it's taken her game to a whole different level," Petree said. "She's working hard in practice and it's great to see her grow."
Senior Peyton Evans (Riverton HS/Western Texas College) played well from her setter position. She finished the match with eight kills and had a team-high 22 assists to go along with three aces.
Sophomore libero Ayssa Garcia (San Antonio, Texas/Johnson HS) had a match-high 15 digs.
Sarah Koster led OPSU (2-9, 0-5 Heartland) with 10 kills.
The War Hawks (6-7, 4-0 Heartland) return to action Saturday and play host to Heartland Conference foe Newman University at noon.
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Updated Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Updated Abilene non-profit raising money with rappelling event
- Updated City of Abilene to give away 100 rain barrel kits
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon stray t-shower possible for West-Central Texas
- Updated Country music star Vince Gill tours West Texas Rehab in Abilene