ABILENE, Texas - McMurry University athletes earned a total of three Player of the Week honors from the National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) for the period ending April 20, it was announced by the national office. Honored were: Cristiano Mendes (Curitiba, Brazil) for men's tennis; LaNissa Burns (Austin, Texas) for women's track (field events) and Grayson Morrow (Hico, Texas) for men's track (field events).
Additionally, Mended was also selected as the Heartland Conference men's tennis "Player of the Week."
Mendes, a senior, was a perfect 3-0 at No.-5 singles for McMurry on the week. He won two matches by shutout - including vs. NCAA II #27 St. Mary's - and did not lose a set.
Burns, sophomore, set a McMurry school record in the hammer toss with a distance of 163' 1" surpassing the previous mark by three feet and landing her third in the NCCAA rankings. She also placed first at the East Texas Invitational in the discus with a distance of 143'0", also third in the NCCAA. Burns also competed in the shot put and threw for 40' 3.25", which placed her third in the event at the meet and fifth in the NCCAA rankings.
Morrow, junior, cleared a personal-best height of 16'8" to win the pole vault at the East Texas Invitational for McMurry University. His vault moved into the No.-2 spot in the NCCAA men's pole vault rankings.
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Updated Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Updated Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer