STEPHENVILLE, Texas - The McMurry University men's basketball team found itself on the short end of a defensive battle as the War Hawks fell, 65-52 to Tarleton State University on Wednesday evening. The loss drops McM to 0-3 when they score under 60 points this season.
The Texans opened the contest on a 12-5 run over the first 4:07 as four different TSU players registered a basket in the early goings. McMurry would come back with a 12-4 run of its own over the next seven minutes to tie the game, 17-17, on a bucket by Kaylim Noel with 8:27 remaining in the half. The teams would then trade leads five times over the final eight minutes with Tarleton scoring the last bucket with two seconds remaining in the half to take the 31-29 lead into intermission.
In the second half, a tip-in by Takoby Jackson at the 17:45 mark tied the game at 34-34 and a Jackson free-throw four minutes later gave McMurry its biggest lead of the half, 40-37. Unfortunately for the War Hawks, McM was outscored 28-12 the rest of the way, and McMurry fell, 65-52.
Offensively, the War Hawks were led by Jackson's 21 points. He also finished with 11 boards, giving him his second double-double of the season. The only other War Hawk in double figures was Alfred Perez, who finished the contest with 13 points on 6-of-10 shooting. Antonio Bell finished the game with eight points, while the rest of the team shot just 5-of-17 from the field.
As a team, McM shot just 39 percent from the field, while allowing Tarleton to shoot 45 percent for the game. They were also outrebounded for just the second time this season, as the Texans held the 34-29 advantage on the boards.
The War Hawks will be back in action on Saturday, February 2 when they dive back into Heartland Conference play against St. Edward's University. The contest is scheduled to follow the women's game which is slated for a 2 p.m. start.
Information for this story provided by McMurry Sports Information.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated