ABILENE, Texas - The McMurry University men's soccer team used a stout defensive effort and a well timed goal by James Ness to defeat Oklahoma Christian 1-0 on Saturday afternoon at Edwards Field.
Both teams played to a stalemate in the first half until the 38th minute of play. Mike Moon played a corner kick that was cleared by the Eagles' defense right to Ness. From about 25-yards out, Ness kicked a line drive through the defense that snuck past the left post and beat the keeper to give the War Hawks the 1-0 victory on Ness' third goal of the season. McMurry would go into the half up by the same score.
In the second half, The McMurry defense, led by Moon and captain Tyler Tarango, held Oklahoma Christian to just three shots and keeper Neil O'Sullivan made a timely save on a free kick with 10 minutes remaining to preserve the victory for McMurry, surpassing their win total from a year ago.
"It was a great win for us today," said head coach Paul Tate. "Oklahoma Christian was coming in with great success on the offensive side of the ball, averaging two goals a game.
"Our defense really stepped up out there, and the win was a complete team effort, which is something that we really needed."
Ness led the way with the only score of the game, and totaled two points in the contest. The defense held Oklahoma Christian, who was averaging almost twenty shots per game, to just nine total shots, and two on goal. The victory for McMurry also ended the Eagles' four-game winning streak.
McMurry will be back in action on Thursday, October 11 when they travel to San Antonio to take on the St. Mary's University Rattlers. The game is scheduled for a 3:30 p.m. start.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated