ABILENE, Texas - The McMurry University men's swimming team opened its 2013-14 season on Wednesday evening, losing to Wayland Baptist University, 109-85, at the Phillips Family Center.
The War Hawks biggest win of the evening came in the 50 freestyle, where McM swept the Nos. 1-3 spots. Freshman and senior tied for first place, touching at 22.54 seconds. Freshman was third in a 23.33 clocking.
McM's only other first place finish came in the 200 freestyle relay. The quartet of , , and Sikes swam a 1:33.01 to win by better than five seconds over the WBU team.
Salinas tallied a second place in the 100 breaststroke in a time of 1:01.34. Bowers grabbed a runner-up in the 100 backstroke (56.54) and Grimes a second in the 100 freestyle (51.04).
finished in second place in the 100 butterfly, posting a 57.36 finish.
In the distance events – the 500 and 1000 freestyle – War Hawks had the runners-up, as well. was No. 2 in the 1000 free (12:15.45) and in the 500 free (5:54.58).
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning
- Perfect strangers perform unforgettable duet at Texas hospital
- Abilene man, 32, sentenced to 18 years for June 2014 shooting death
- New Mexico governor: 10-year-old girl's death worst she's seen
- Updated Mark Rowlett: Tracking continued afternoon and evening thundershower chances