ABILENE, Texas - The McMurry University Athletics family and entire campus community was saddened to learn of the passing of football student-athlete Billy Cole III tonight in an automobile accident. He was returning to the McMurry campus for the opening of football practice Wednesday.
Cole III (Sachse, Texas/Sachse H.S.) was a junior running back for the War Hawks. Cole III was set to begin his third season as a part of the McMurry offensive backfield corps.
"Our first concern is for Billy's family, loved one and teammates," McMurry head coach Lance Hinson said. "Football is on the back burner right now. All of our energies are in supporting and uplifting those who are grieving at this time."
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Brownwood teen accused of killing daughter waives right to jury trial
- Brownwood mayor's State of the City focuses on finances, future projects
- Court finds Brownwood murder suspect competent to stand trial
- Brown County Christian academy wants nearby speed limit reduced
- Brownwood professor talks new pipeline regulations