ABILENE, Texas - The McMurry University Athletics family and entire campus community was saddened to learn of the passing of football student-athlete Billy Cole III tonight in an automobile accident. He was returning to the McMurry campus for the opening of football practice Wednesday.
Cole III (Sachse, Texas/Sachse H.S.) was a junior running back for the War Hawks. Cole III was set to begin his third season as a part of the McMurry offensive backfield corps.
"Our first concern is for Billy's family, loved one and teammates," McMurry head coach Lance Hinson said. "Football is on the back burner right now. All of our energies are in supporting and uplifting those who are grieving at this time."
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Manhunt underway in Sweetwater after attempted traffic stop
- Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- KTXS Forecast: Drier and warmer weather for most to finish the work week
- Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web