ABILENE, Texas - The McMurry University Athletics family and entire campus community was saddened to learn of the passing of football student-athlete Billy Cole III tonight in an automobile accident. He was returning to the McMurry campus for the opening of football practice Wednesday.
Cole III (Sachse, Texas/Sachse H.S.) was a junior running back for the War Hawks. Cole III was set to begin his third season as a part of the McMurry offensive backfield corps.
"Our first concern is for Billy's family, loved one and teammates," McMurry head coach Lance Hinson said. "Football is on the back burner right now. All of our energies are in supporting and uplifting those who are grieving at this time."
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- KTXS Forecast: Slight warm up today then another cold front arrives Thursday
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend