ABILENE, Texas - The McMurry University Athletics family and entire campus community was saddened to learn of the passing of football student-athlete Billy Cole III tonight in an automobile accident. He was returning to the McMurry campus for the opening of football practice Wednesday.
Cole III (Sachse, Texas/Sachse H.S.) was a junior running back for the War Hawks. Cole III was set to begin his third season as a part of the McMurry offensive backfield corps.
"Our first concern is for Billy's family, loved one and teammates," McMurry head coach Lance Hinson said. "Football is on the back burner right now. All of our energies are in supporting and uplifting those who are grieving at this time."
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- State Rep. submits bill to end Brown Co. Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Updated Texas ag. commisisoner calls for ‘hog apocalypse'
- Abilene City Council chooses water rate study after high bills
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS