MARION, Indiana - McMurry University's track and field team will get a taste of a new post-season competition, when it participates in its first National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) Indoor Championships on Friday-Saturday (Feb. 15-16), hosted by Indiana Wesleyan University.
This is the first season as NCCAA members for the War Hawks, which are transitioned from NCAA Division III last year to NCAA Division II this season. The NCCAA is comprised of schools that hold membership in various national affiliations: NAIA, NCAA II, NCAA III and strictly NCCAA.
McMurry had a total of 40 student-athletes qualify for the NCCAA championship event: 21 men and 19 women.
Among the women's entrants, Jasmine Williams has the No. 6 time in the 400 meters (1:00.34).
Mariah Steinbock has the fourth-best height in the women's pole vault at 11' 1 ¾". Sophomore Tiana Alexander will enter the long jump with the No. 7 mark (18' 0 ½").
Alexander will also be the 10-seeded triple jumper (36' 6 ¼"). Teammate Shanita Coleman is No. 8 in the triple jump (36' 10 ¼"). Coleman alsi qualified in the long jump competition.
LaNissa Burns is No. 11 in the women's weight throw (43' 11 ¼"). Fellow thrower Desitny Kesee is No. 11 in the shot put (38' 6").
On the men's side, Trevon Odom's 22.66 seconds in the 200 meters is the No. 7 time. Lance Andrews is No. 8 in the 400 meters (51.50).
The men's Distance Medley Relay sits on the second-fastest time (10.48.60). The 4x400 quartet is seeded fifth (3:26.02), as well.
In the field events, the War Hawks' have the No. 1 seed in the high jump in sophomore JuJuan Austin at 6' 8 ¼". McM will have five competitors in the pole vault, headed by Grayson Morrow's mark of 15' 1 ½" (No. 4).
Sophomores Dillon Wilkins and Chris Ogle rank No. 6 and No. 7, respectively, in the long jump. In the triple jump, it's Ogle ranked No. 3 (an McM school record 47' 1") and Wilkins at No. 5.
Junior thrower Paul Davis holds down the top seed in the men's shot put at 61' 0 ¼". He also is No. 4 in the weight throw (55' 0 ¼").
Information for this story provided by McMurry Sports Information.
- Updated Armored car guard shot, killed in Texas ATM robbery
- Updated Teacher fired in West Texas after Internet post hired by another district
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon hit-or-miss t-shower chances continue
- Police ID West Texas man who died while hiking
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon