ABILENE, Texas - After not hosting any home track and field meets last season due to construction on Wilford Moore Stadium, McMurry University's program will host a slate of five events in 2013. The first of these – the War Hawk Classic – occurs March 22-23 and will be of great local interest (featuring five local schools).
The War Hawk Classic will be a combination high school/college competition, highlighting local track and field. The High School division will pit Abilene's three local high schools – Abilene, Cooper and Wylie - against each other in head-to-head competition.
Colleges slated to participate in the War Hawk Classic include host McMurry and Hardin-Simmons University locally, in addition to Tarleton State University and Sul Ross State University.
"This meet will be a lot of fun for local fans," said McM head coach Barbara Crousen. "We wanted to have an event that really showcased the quality of track and field in the city of Abilene."
The other four events being hosted by the War Hawks' program includes the TAPPS 1A District/Regional high school meet on April 18, the Heartland/McMurry Classic (which will be a college event only) on April 19-20 and on April 26-27, Wilford Moore Stadium will be a site for the Region 1-4A high school meet. Finally, on May 2, the facility will welcome the TAPPS 4A North Regional high school meet.
One of the new opportunities available for all five meets, thanks to the renovations made to the stadium, will be the opportunity for individuals and businesses to rent one of the Suites. Prices vary and the Suites are rented on a first-come, first-served basis. Anyone interested in securing a Suite for one of the meets should contact Crousen at (325) 793-4646.
Information for this story provided by McMurry Sports Information.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated