CARROLLTON, TX - Football is upon us. And for the McMurry War Hawks, they're looking to start things on a high note, with a new head coach.
Media Day for the Lone Star Conference wrapped up in Carrollton. Texas on Tuesday at the Coyote Ridge Golf Club, where the preseason poll was revealed for the conference. McMurry is slated to finish eighth, but coach Lance Hinson and company said that they're ready to prove everyone wrong.
"I look at this as nothing but an opportunity, to go out there and as you can see in the poll, nobody, nobody is expecting anything. I'd be very surprised if that is where we finish," said Hinson.
"We're the underdogs, and underdogs get under-looked a lot," explained senior wide receiver Jeret Smith. "That's our best ability right there, because they are going to know we're there, but not really know we're there. Our best challenge is going to be to show everyone that we're not to be played with."
Tarlton State, last year's conference champion, was once again picked as the preseason overall favorite.
The War Hawks begin their season on September 6th against Houston Baptist University, before beginning conference play against San Angelo State on September 20th.
- Abilene City Council to review entire code of ordinances
- Taylor County grand jury indicts 32 on criminal charges
- Abilene women indicted for trafficking meth with children in car
- Outdoor workout equipment now available at Red Bud Park in Abilene
- Abilene City Council approves rezoning for downtown microbrewery