ABILENE, Texas - The McMurry University men's basketball team improved its' record to 3-0 at home on the season as it defeated Northern New Mexico University, 84-67.
McMurry (7-2), used a strong defensive effort, including holding the Eagles to just 29% shooting from the three-point line, to come away with the 17-point victory.
The contest started out as a back-and-forth affair as the two teams were tied five times over the course of the first 12 minutes, with the final tie coming at 14-14 on a jumper by Kenny Williams with 8:37 remaining in the half.
The War Hawks then jumped out on a 15-5 run over the next six minutes. A Williams dunk and a three-point shot by Antonio Bell served as a catalyst for the run, which put McM ahead, 29-19, with 2:17 left.
McMurry would extend the lead to as much as 13, before finishing the half with a 34-23 lead. Williams led the way in the first half, posting his third double-double of the season in just 16 minutes.
McM came out firing on all cylinders in the second half, scoring nine of the first 11 points in the frame to jump out to a 45-25 lead with 16:27 left. The Eagles then went on a 10-0 run that spanned just three minutes to cut the McMurry lead to 10, 45-35.
Northern New Mexico would only get as close as eight points during the rest of the contest. A three-pointer by DJ Stennis with 4:42 remaining in the game, expanded the lead to 17 points, and McMurry would go on to win by the same score.
Five different players scored in double figures for the War Hawks. Williams and Stennis each finished the contest with 16, while Bell, Connor Robinson and Alfred Perez all chipped in with 14. Williams finished the day with 17 rebounds while Bell and Stennis finished with seven and five assists respectively.
As a team, the War Hawks shot 49% from the field while collecting 20 assists over the course of the contest.
McMurry will return to action on Saturday, January 5 when it travels to Austin to take on Heartland Conference opponent, St. Edward's University. The contest against the Hilltoppers is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Information for this story provided by ACU Sports Information.
- Bus carrying high school cheerleaders collides with 18-wheeler on I-20; 2 in critical condition
- City of Abilene seeking firm to conduct water rate study
- KTXS Forecast: Cloudy, cool and showery weekend
- Rangers turn completed Brown Co. Attorney investigation over to feds
- Goodfellows spread holiday cheer in Sweetwater with toy drive
- Christmas market in Abilene benefits African orphanage
- Russian man caught with synthetic opioid in Abilene, could face deportation
- Abilene's Food for Fares campaign nearing its end
- City of Abilene offering trolley tour of homes decorated for holidays
- Abilene parents fear impending cuts to therapy for children