DALLAS - The road continued to be a cruel place for the McMurry University men's basketball team, dropping an 85-83 overtime decision at Dallas Baptist University on Saturday afternoon. The loss dropped the War Hawks to 13-7 overall and 2-7 in road games.
The Patriots improved to 8-13.
Both teams shot the ball well out of the gate. McMurry hit 47 percent (14-30) and DBU nearly matching that at 46 percent (12-26). The Patriots mad two more three-point baskets (6 to 4) than McM and added four more free throws in taking a 37-35 lead at the break.
Takoby Jackson had 13 points in the opening segment, hitting 5-of-10 from the field
to lead McM. Antonio Bell added six points, while Kaylim Noel, Connor Robinson and Alfred Perez each contributed four first-half points.
In the waning minutes of the second period, McMurry held a 70-64 lead after Jackson canned a pair of free throws to make it 70-64. But the Patriots would not retreat.
Dallas Baptist scored the last six points of the game to send the contest into overtime, 70-70 at the end of regulation.
In the extra segment, McM trailed by as much as seven points, 77-70, with 2:45 left as its scoring drought continued. Chris Campbell hit the back end of a two-shot foul to make it 77-71 with 2:17 remaining in OT to end finally get the War Hawks back on the board.
With DBU ahead by eight – 79-71 – McMurry made a final charge. Two buckets by A.J. Peralta sandwiched a lay-up by Campbell, as McM drew to within two points, 79-77, with 51 seconds left.
DBU hit a pair of free throws with a little under 40 seconds left to extend its margin to four. But a trey by Campbell with 27.7 left on the clock made it a one-point ball game, 81-80.
The Patriots caught the War Hawks napping on the inbound and scored an easy layup, forcing MM to foul after a miss on its next trip. DBU made both with three seconds left to secure the win.
Bells three-ball as the clock expired made it the 85-83 final.
Jackson led the War Hawks with 25 points on an 8-21 day shooting. Campbell added 15 points, hitting 6-of-9 field goals and grabbing three rebounds.
Bell rang in 10 points, thanks to connecting on 5-of-8 free throws. He also had three assists.
Peralta shot a perfect 5-for-5 from the floor, finishing with 11 points. Peralta also finished his all-around solid game with six rebounds and three blocked shots.
Robinson led McMurry's rebounders with seven boards.
McMurry University vs Dallas Baptist (2/9/13 at Dallas, Texas)
Information provided by McMurry Athletics Dept.
- Forecasters say parts of Texas – including Abilene – face critical wildfire danger
- 3 arrested for engaging in organized crime in San Angelo
- Job fair to be held at Abilene Convention Center
- House speaker getting firsthand look at US-Mexico border
- KTXS Forecast: Very warm tomorrow but a cool down to look forward to by the end of the week
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9