ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' men's basketball team made a second-half rally to take the lead, but Schreiner was able to pull out a 73-72 win on Saturday afternoon in non-conference action at the Mabee Complex.
Schreiner was torrid from the field in the first half hitting 15-of-23 shots, while HSU shot just 9-for-33 from the field. The result was a 40-27 halftime lead for the Mountaineers.
The Cowboys made their run starting at the 9:21 mark when the second unit provided a spark. Charles Sams hits back-to-back 3-pointers to make it 62-56, then Justin Jones hit a layup in transition on a crosscourt pass from fellow freshman Ryan Leiss. After a pair of Schreiner free throws by A.J. Myres, freshman Duane Hopper hit a layup top cut the deficit to 64-60 with 5:46 to play.
Maverick Harris hit a 3-pointer for SU with 5:!4 to play to make it 67-60, but HSU scored eight straight points. Derrick Jefferson hit a jumper, Mawen Maywin made a layup and Jim Walter hit a pair of free throws and then Jefferson hit a pair of free throws at 1:43 to give HSU its first lead since the 10:51 mark of the first half.
Myres then hit a layup for Schreiner with 1:27 to play and Steven Guerrero hit a pair of free throws with :24 to play to make it 71-68. Maywin then missed a free throw for HSU and then Schreiner's Nick Garcia a pair of free throws with :15 to play, but Tyler Guderyahn tracked down the long rebound and then split a pair of free throws to make it 72-68 with :15 to play.
Jefferson then hit a contested 3-pointer with 7.7 to play and was fouled, but he missed the free throw. Guerrero was immediately fouled and he split a pair of free throws to make it 73-71 with 6.8 to play. John Barnes was then fouled on HSU's next possession and he split a pair of free throws. Myres then was fouled and missed the first free throw and intentionally missed the second but didn't hit the rim giving HSU one last chance with 2.6 seconds but the long inbounds pass was knocked away an time ran out.
Jefferson led the Cowboys with 22 points and nine rebounds, Eric Taylor had 19 points and Charles Sams had 13 points, including four second-half 3-pointers.
Guerrero had 26 to pace Schreiner and Myres added 19.
The Cowboys are now 0-2 on the year and Schreiner improved to 1-3. HSU will be off until next Saturday when it hosts Texas-Dallas to open American Southwest Conference play.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer