ABILENE, Texas - Texas-Dallas stormed out to a 47-18 halftime lead and the Hardin-Simmons men's basketball team never recovered in an 80-57 loss in the American Southwest Conference opener at the Mabee Complex in Abilene.
UTD raced out to an 11-2 lead early in the game and HSU never led in the contest. UTD pushed it to 22-7 with 10:01 to play in the half. UTD closed the half on a 22-4 run and led 47-18 at halftime.
HSU outscored the Comets 39-33 in the second half and cut it to 72-57 with 3:02 to play on an Eric Taylor 3-pointer, but UTD scored the game's final eight points.
Jim Walter led the Cowboys with a career-best 17 points as he hit a career-high four 3-pointers. Charles Sams added 12 points off the bench.
Kyle Schleigh, who was the ASC player of the year last year, had 23 points to pace UTD. Matthew Medell added 19 points and Nolan Harvey added 18.
The Cowboys are now 0-3 on the year and 0-1 in league play. UTD improved to 4-0 overall and 2-0 in ASC action. HSU returns to action on Sunday at 2 p.m. at Baylor. The game can be seen on Fox Sports Southwest.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Blanket man gets 15 years for two separate agg. assault cases
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget