ABILENE, Texas - Texas-Dallas stormed out to a 47-18 halftime lead and the Hardin-Simmons men's basketball team never recovered in an 80-57 loss in the American Southwest Conference opener at the Mabee Complex in Abilene.
UTD raced out to an 11-2 lead early in the game and HSU never led in the contest. UTD pushed it to 22-7 with 10:01 to play in the half. UTD closed the half on a 22-4 run and led 47-18 at halftime.
HSU outscored the Comets 39-33 in the second half and cut it to 72-57 with 3:02 to play on an Eric Taylor 3-pointer, but UTD scored the game's final eight points.
Jim Walter led the Cowboys with a career-best 17 points as he hit a career-high four 3-pointers. Charles Sams added 12 points off the bench.
Kyle Schleigh, who was the ASC player of the year last year, had 23 points to pace UTD. Matthew Medell added 19 points and Nolan Harvey added 18.
The Cowboys are now 0-3 on the year and 0-1 in league play. UTD improved to 4-0 overall and 2-0 in ASC action. HSU returns to action on Sunday at 2 p.m. at Baylor. The game can be seen on Fox Sports Southwest.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated