ABILENE, Texas - Kourtney Goff tallied a game-high 19 points on 7-of-13 shooting from the field, but it wasn't enough as McMurry University couldn't keep up with St. Edward's University, and dropped an 82-72 decision in Heartland Conference action Saturday afternoon at Kimbrell Arena.
"Defensively we were terrible and didn't follow the game plan," McM head coach Clif Carroll said following the game. "At the end of the day it's a reflection on me and they weren't prepared to play. They (St. Edward's) played hard and executed well and were the better team tonight."
Neither team was able to pull away in the first half and the Hilltoppers (7-4, 3-0 HC) led 32-28 at the break.
SEU opened the second stanza on a 10-3 run and the War Hawks couldn't recover.
McM dominated the game in the paint, outscoring SEU 44-36. The War Hawks also scored 12 second-chance points, while holding the Hilltoppers to 2.
As a team McM shot 43 percent (26-of-61) from the field.
The Hilltoppers shot 50 percent (29-of-58) from the floor – including 59 percent (17-of-29) in the second half.
Alex Lewis (Converse, Texas/Temple College) added 12 points and Will Adams (Philadelphia, Pa./Baltimore City CC) dropped in 10.
Alfred Perez (Spring, Texas/Klein Collins HS), Brandon Golden (Austin, Texas/Coastal Bend College) and Thiago Randazzo (Brasilla, Brazil/Impact Academy) each scored six points.
James Stukes added 18 points for SEU.
The War Hawks (7-5, 2-1) return to the hardwood Thursday, Jan. 9 at Texas A&M International University.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated