Three players scored in double figures as McMurry University cruised past Bacone College, 79-59, Saturday afternoon at Kimbrell Arena.
"It was your classic letdown game. We had a big game last night and it was a hard-fought tough loss (vs. Angelo State University) and we came out a little flat and the ball didn't move as well," McM head coach Clif Carroll said following the game. "We played tough and scraped hard enough to get the win."
Clinging to a 16-14 lead, Alfred Perez's jumper at 9:52 in the first half generated a 24-5 run that last nearly seven minutes and the War Hawks flew into halftime with a 42-29 lead.
The War Hawks continued their offensive pressure in the second half. A pair of Kourtney Goff (Rochester, N.Y./Southern Illinois University) free throws at 7:32 opened up a 67-43 lead.
However, the Warriors (2-9) had one last offensive burst.
Consecutive free throws from Christian Smith jumpstarted a 13-2 run and pulled BC to within 67-56 with less than four minutes remaining in regulation.
McM responded with a 12-3 run of its own to close out the game.
As a team McM shot 45.9 percent (28-of-61) from the field – including 53.8 percent (14-of-26) in the first half.
The War Hawks won the battle in the paint with 42 points, while holding the Warriors to 18.
Perez (Spring, Texas/Klein Collins HS) recorded a team-high 18 points and hauled in seven rebounds. Freshman Jordan Holmes (Silsbee, Texas/Silsbee HS) came off the bench to score 14 points, including going 3-of-4 from beyond the arc.
Goff added 12 points and six rebounds.
McM (4-1) returns to the hardwood Tuesday at Angelo State. Tip is set for 7 p.m.
Information provided by McMurry athletics department.
- Calais 'Jungle': Demolition of massive migrant camp to begin
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- KTXS Forecast: Cloud cover temporarily increases for Tuesday
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer