PANAMA CITY BEACH, Fl. - McMurry University's men's golf team finds itself tied for 14th place after Day 1 of the National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) Men's Championships held at The Hombre Golf Club. The War Hawks posted a team aggregate of 313 on the par-72, 6,410-yard course.
Sophomore Mitchel Fagan was McM's top finisher on the day with a four-over-par 76, tying him for 42nd place. Holes No. 1-10 were unkind to Fagan, as he played that set with a plus-7 result. But Fagan birdied the par-three 11th hole, as well as back-to-back birdies on the par-four 14th and 15th holes, to right the ship.
Junior Garrett Betts – who is tied for 65th with a round of 80 – had just the opposite result as Fagan. After a double-bogey six on the second hole, Betts birdied the eighth and 12th holes (both par-4's) and found himself at level par through 13. But Betts would play the final five holes at eight over par to short circuit what looked to be a promising round.
Fellow junior Matt Porter found himself in a tie for 53rd place after carding a first round total of 76. Sophomore Seth Abbott was close behind with a 79, placing him in a seven-way logjam for 58th. Senior Curtis Stanley rounded out the McM Day 1 results with an 87.
The NCCAA championship tourney continues on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Financial shortfall forcing Meals on Wheels to cut breakfast delivery in Abilene
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash