PANAMA CITY BEACH, Fl. - McMurry University's men's golf team finds itself tied for 14th place after Day 1 of the National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) Men's Championships held at The Hombre Golf Club. The War Hawks posted a team aggregate of 313 on the par-72, 6,410-yard course.
Sophomore Mitchel Fagan was McM's top finisher on the day with a four-over-par 76, tying him for 42nd place. Holes No. 1-10 were unkind to Fagan, as he played that set with a plus-7 result. But Fagan birdied the par-three 11th hole, as well as back-to-back birdies on the par-four 14th and 15th holes, to right the ship.
Junior Garrett Betts – who is tied for 65th with a round of 80 – had just the opposite result as Fagan. After a double-bogey six on the second hole, Betts birdied the eighth and 12th holes (both par-4's) and found himself at level par through 13. But Betts would play the final five holes at eight over par to short circuit what looked to be a promising round.
Fellow junior Matt Porter found himself in a tie for 53rd place after carding a first round total of 76. Sophomore Seth Abbott was close behind with a 79, placing him in a seven-way logjam for 58th. Senior Curtis Stanley rounded out the McM Day 1 results with an 87.
The NCCAA championship tourney continues on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated