ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' men's soccer team opened its 2013 fall camp on Tuesday morning as 44 players reported for coach Dan Heger.
The Cowboys were picked fifth in the ASC preseason poll. The Cowboys have gone to the ASC Tournament each year under Heger, who is in his 11th season. HSU has won three titles under Heger and advanced to the ASC semifinal in seven of the previous 10 seasons.
HSU returns 17 lettermen from a year ago and seven starters. The Cowboys also have brought in several talented transfers as well as a deep and talented freshman class.
"We have to figure out who we are," said Heger. "We are extremely deep and talented, which will provide competition all throughout the lineup. No one can get comfortable or complacent in their role because there are two or three hungry guys right behind them waiting for a chance."
HSU opens the season on Aug. 31 at UT-Permian Basin in Odessa.
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated