ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' men's soccer team opened its 2013 fall camp on Tuesday morning as 44 players reported for coach Dan Heger.
The Cowboys were picked fifth in the ASC preseason poll. The Cowboys have gone to the ASC Tournament each year under Heger, who is in his 11th season. HSU has won three titles under Heger and advanced to the ASC semifinal in seven of the previous 10 seasons.
HSU returns 17 lettermen from a year ago and seven starters. The Cowboys also have brought in several talented transfers as well as a deep and talented freshman class.
"We have to figure out who we are," said Heger. "We are extremely deep and talented, which will provide competition all throughout the lineup. No one can get comfortable or complacent in their role because there are two or three hungry guys right behind them waiting for a chance."
HSU opens the season on Aug. 31 at UT-Permian Basin in Odessa.
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Texas gunman had 2 weapons, thousands of rounds at scene
- Children subject of Amber Alert found dead, mother arrested
- KTXS Forecast: Isolated sprinkles possible then drying afternoon
- North Texas son, 18, gets life in prison for killing parents
- Fugitive Monday: Man, 27, wanted by Abilene police for parole violation
- Texas Roadhouse in Abilene donating to non-profit for cancer patients
- Man pleads guilty in connection with brutal 2014 Abilene murder, sentenced to life
- Abilene man fires shot during fight with roommate
- $4,000 TV stolen during burglary of Abilene apartment
- More Abilene convenience store robberies reported
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend
- Low enrollment causing Brookesmith ISD to look into restructuring
- Firefighters respond to house fire in Clyde, rescue dog