ABILENE, Texas - The Abilene Christian men's tennis team fell to visiting Cleveland State, 4-3, Saturday afternoon on the indoor courts of the Teague Events Center. The match was first scheduled to be played outdoors, but cold temperatures and gusty winds throughout the Big Country forced the match inside, which was somewhat advantageous for the Vikings who have played a majority of their matches indoors this season.
With the victory, Cleveland State improved to 13-12, while the Wildcats dropped to 5-7 as it was their third loss in four matches dating back to Feb. 8.
The Vikings started the dual with a sweep of doubles. ACU's No. 1 and 2 teams each lost 8-4, while its No. 3 tandem of Michael Morris and Jason Proctor lost, 8-2.
The top portion of ACU's singles lineup also had difficulty earning team points as the Wildcats dropped their matches at the No. 2, 3 and 4 positions in straight sets. But at the No. 1 position, junior Borja Cortés battled back against Jorg Van Der Vloet to win in three sets, 7-6, 1-6, 10-7, for his seventh dual win of the season.
Freshman Nico Agritelley also won for the seventh time this spring, beating Nolan Marks at No. 5, 6-4, 4-6, 10-8, while sophomore Marco Bensley was successful at No. 6, doubling up Andre Mick, 6-3, 6-3. Bensley's win evened his season record at 5-5.
The Wildcats return to action Sunday at noon for a Southland Conference dual at Incarnate Word, which kicks off a three-match Spring Break road trip. Tomorrow's outdoor forecast does not look promising as it calls for rain with a afternoon high temperature of 48 degrees.
# # #
Cleveland State 4, Abilene Christian 3
Mar 08, 2014 at Abilene, Texas (Teague Events Center)
1. Borja Cortés (ACU) def. VAN DER VLOET, Jorg (CSU) 7-6, 1-6, 10-7
2. KUELKER, Matt (CSU) def. Nicklas Wingord (ACU) 6-1, 6-1
3. SHABIB, Ali (CSU) def. Jason Proctor (ACU) 6-0, 6-2
4. BELLUTTI, Manuel (CSU) def. Guilherme Gesser (ACU) 7-5, 6-3
5. Nico Agritelley (ACU) def. MARKS, Nolan (CSU) 6-4, 4-6, 10-8
6. Marco Bensley (ACU) def. MICK, Andre (CSU) 6-3, 6-3
1. SHABIB, Ali/VANMETER, Joe (CSU) def. Borja Cortés/Nicklas Wingord (ACU) 8-4
2. KUELKER, Matt/MARKS, Nolan (CSU) def. Guilherme Gesser/Nico Agritelley (ACU) 8-4
3. VAN DER VLOET, Jorg/BELLUTTI, Manuel (CSU) def. Michael Morris/Jason Proctor (ACU) 8-2
Cleveland State 13-12
Abilene Christian 5-7
Information for this story provided by ACU.
- Updated Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9
- Thief climbs in through roof at Abilene High, steals electronics
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash
- Updated Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- Judge blocks Texas cutting Medicaid to Planned Parenthood